BMW Werkz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter motor on my 518 -96 (e34) is often clicking right now which means that the solenoid doesn't push the cog wheel against the big one. Sometimes it starts without problems and sometimes it doesn't push the cog wheel at all. The starter motor turns so it doesn't seem to be any problem with that one. Sometimes the starter motor starts before the solenoid pushes the cog wheel which results in horrible noise.

I've heard about the e34 having problems with the ignition lock not giving enough current to the solenoid. I really don't hope that it is this fault because it sounds really difficult. Getting into the steering collumn is often a mess. On the other hand if it's the solenoid it can be easily changed.

What do you think? Do you think it is the ignition lock or the solenoid. What's the most usual fault in this case?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
More likely to be the solenoid since they will werar out over time. The current problem is a maybe/maybe not proposition. Some cars get that problem and some don't. But all of them will need a new starter eventually.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts