BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 91 3251 (E30) and the only problem with it was the airbag light stays on all the time. I've been looking for a reset tool, and although ive found a few on the net, they say "(except for E30 and a few other models listed)" DOHHH!!!

Anyone have any clues where i can get the tool to reset the SRS system on my E30, or possibly any tips on reseting it without an expensive tool?

Please help......I'm dying over here!!!! ;)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

·
Registered
497 Posts
well, there must be a reason that the light is on. I would figure that out first and foremost. Most likely (the most common issue) the crash sensor under the hood is faulty. Resetting the light isn't going to do you any favors. If you want to give it a shot, you can disconnect both battery cables and then touch the two CABLES together and hold them there for about ten seconds. Then reconnect the cables and see if your light went out. I think you'll find that the light will come right back on because something is malfunctioning in the system. I'd have it diagnosed, for safety reasons of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot, I'll try that out. And youre right, safety is an issue but maybe I will be lucky. :wiggle

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is how I did it on my 91 E30

1. Buy the reset tool from handsontools.com

2. Remove knee bolster panel on drivers side and access the orange connector leading to srs control box.

2. Locate the white/voilet(TX) and white/yellow wires(RX). Splice in a set of wires long enough to reach 20 pin connector under hood.

3. Remove 20 pin connector and access the wires from behind the connector. Pin 15 is white/yellow(RX) and pin 20 is white violet(TX). Splice these two wires into the wires you have coming from the srs control box connector.

4. Put it all back together, plug the tool in and reset the light per the instructions included with the tool. Now you can reset it any time you want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a question kind of on the same topic. I have a light that says I need to check my brake lights, but I've had it looked at time and time again and the guys swear that there's nothing wrong with the brake lights. So if I found a tool would it be able to get rid of that light?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your's is an E30, then no. I don't know what the newer 325's have, but with mine, the light just tells if a light bulb is burned out. In which case, if you replace the bulb, the light goes out. It may be different on an E36.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts