BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching a guy at a local smog check center do a quick window cleaning (included with their service) I saw how they did a 100% better job with 50% less work.

Before using the squeegee each time the edge was dried with a paper towel. This keeps any water from the last cleaning from causing additional streaks on the next one. This method works well even if your just getting the morning dew or rain water off your car (if you happen to park outside).

Also, they use a non-streaking glass cleaner mixed with soft/distilled water so that no water spots are left anywhere.

I purchased some of this stuff but didn't use the soft/distilled water so I was wondering why it didn't work so well. I'll let you know how it comes out when I try it with soft water

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by Silver4evr@Feb 3 2004, 12:59 PM
After watching a guy at a local smog check center do a quick window cleaning (included with their service) I saw how they did a 100% better job with 50% less work.

Before using the squeegee each time the edge was dried with a paper towel. This keeps any water from the last cleaning from causing additional streaks on the next one. This method works well even if your just getting the morning dew or rain water off your car (if you happen to park outside).

Also, they use a non-streaking glass cleaner mixed with soft/distilled water so that no water spots are left anywhere.

I purchased some of this stuff but didn't use the soft/distilled water so I was wondering why it didn't work so well. I'll let you know how it comes out when I try it with soft water
Another fantastic way to make your windows easier to clean and that's treating them with Rain-x or Diamondite. Either of those will make it easier to clean up your windows in the long run.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also used regular car wax on the windshield and it works as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Totally agree on the Rain X. Easy to apply, and the water flies off of the glass.
Plus, it gives your windows a neat finish.

I recommend the spray bottle, not the pour it out and dump it all over the place jug.

Hey Silver, have you had any trouble with your windshield wipers chattering?

I read somewhere that car wax, or car wax residue/dust is one of the main reasons for wiper chatter.

Piece (yeah that kind)
Joe

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't used wax on my E60. I used it on my Accord with no chattering.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In an emergency (no wipers) you can cut a potato in half and rub it on your windshield so the rain will sheet off and you can see where you're going.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Silver4evr@Feb 25 2004, 10:51 AM
In an emergency (no wipers) you can cut a potato in half and rub it on your windshield so the rain will sheet off and you can see where you're going.
....???? In an emergency, when the wipers don't work...where do you get the potato???

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Rain-X is the bomb. I just did it last night, and I saw a droplet from some mist hit my windhsield this morning, and it IMEDIATELY flew off in the rain-x StarWars fashion. I might have to try that dimondite, the 3 step thing looks interesting... Step processes involving cleaning and resurfacing are always better than 1 step processes. Whatever you guys choose, rain-x or dimondite or whatever. Try it, it's simply amazing. [I dont need my windshield wipers for the next month, as a matter of fact, they actually kind of reduce my visability to have them on now... It's that good!]

If you can find window cleaner that's CLEAR, use that (car parts store [autozone, pep boys] should carry some. I still don't understand why windex keeps making their window cleaner BLUE.

Hey DetailingDude, dunno if your around anymore, but have you ever tried zanio?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by sharabi@Jun 18 2004, 08:30 AM

....???? In an emergency, when the wipers don't work...where do you get the potato???
From Mr. Potato Head..... :joking:

Obviously, if you're out in the middle of nowhere, you won't have access to a potato.....duh....Maybe if you're passing a market and your wiper falls off...I dunno...something like that.

btw, I use Gel-gloss to polish my windows. Water sheets off. don't have to use the wipers much. When I do there's no chattering.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by sharabi+Jun 18 2004, 08:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sharabi @ Jun 18 2004, 08:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Silver4evr@Feb 25 2004, 10:51 AM
....???? In an emergency, when the wipers don't work...where do you get the potato??? [/b][/quote]
cigarettes can be helpful.... and probably more accessible than potatoe...

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Rain X is super sweet. My only complaint is the wicked glare I get on the side windows if I drive at night in the wet because the water beads on it. It's so nice if you live in a place with snow. I used it on my jeep and while kids were scraping their windows to get the snow off I just walked up and wiped my arm across because Rain X doesn't allow water to freeze to your windows.

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts