BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I payed a visit to my local auto parts store looking for some new shocks. They had ones that were for sport suspension only. Would these fit my 1993 325i without sport suspension and be better with lowering springs?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
They will fit for sure, even if you don't have the springs from the sports suspension package. However, don't use any type of OEM stock dampers with lowering springs. They'll blow to fast. Save yourself the hassle and just buy Bilstein sports.

Bry

·
WOT in Reverse
3,441 Posts
Go with the Bilsteins. You can now get a full set of coilovers with adustable ride height (like a full 2") for 899.99. That's my next purchase!!! (anytime i entertain a purchase i research the crap out of it)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry but you are talking to a broke college student almost $1000 is alot of money.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
i understand, but if you can manage it , you be laughing in the end. id rather see you spend the extra money now than spend more than the extra later. i agree with autotech and jillphan

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jllphan is talking about fully adjustable coilovers which I really don't need. I just want something a little sportier and lower my car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
how are eibach's? i've heard good things but what are your guys opinions on them?

andrew try tirerack - you could at least get some ideas on prices

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Originally posted by eloff19@Mar 16 2004, 01:47 PM
how are eibach's? i've heard good things but what are your guys opinions on them?

andrew try tirerack - you could at least get some ideas on prices
Eibach Pro Kit springs are quite soft compared to most other aftermarket springs. They are designed mostly for street use and amature track driving. They are VERY progressive springs. Which means they start out soft, but get much much harder as the handling limits are reached. Pair them with Bilstein sports, you'll be happy with the results. They are still comfortable enough for street driving.

Bry

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an idea for prices, I've been looking into this alot. Does anyone know anything about sachs suspension components?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Originally posted by Andrewsd1985@Mar 16 2004, 02:24 PM
I have an idea for prices, I've been looking into this alot. Does anyone know anything about sachs suspension components?
Yes, and both their low pressure gas and automatic gas dampers are NOT suitable for lowered springs. These are comparable to Bilstein's OE Touring dampers which are also not suitable for lowering springs.

There's only one type of SACHS Boge that will work and it's called SACHS Boge Turbo/Pro GAS. But then you're already in the Bilstein Sport range. So just go with the Bilsteins. There's no cutting corners when you work on suspension.

Bry

·
Registered
391 Posts
An H&R Cup Kit (Shocks and springs) can be had for $600. Lowers the front 2.1" and the rear 1.7". Bilstein makes a great shock that is worth what it costs. As Autotechnica said their is no cutting corners on suspension components.
Ben

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
i agree, as autotechnica knows ive been researching suspension set ups for my car all winter. everything from a H&R/bilstein set up to a set of Pss9's, and if you arent looking to sacrifice a whole lot of ride quality for performance both mach 5 and autotechnica have suggested good ideas for setups.

·
Registered
128 Posts
okay i have a 328is 1996 w/ sport suspension.
i want to upgrade the suspension, what is the best
set up to get?... so far it sounds like bilstein?
I am looking for a better handling.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by socalguy@Mar 16 2004, 01:58 PM
okay i have a 328is 1996 w/ sport suspension.
i want to upgrade the suspension, what is the best
set up to get?... so far it sounds like bilstein?
I am looking for a better handling.
is that the only requirement?
what do you want to do with ride comfort and height?

·
WOT in Reverse
3,441 Posts
Andrew, I sympathise with you bro as I am a poor college student as well (getting poorer by the minute). But if you are going to buy new shocks and are even thinking about adding springs, and you don't want to buy CRAP (which I'm sure you don't...obviously or you wouldn't drive a BMW ha ha) you will still end up spending $650 easy with Bilstein Sports and Eibachs. Save your money a little longer and go with the PSS ($850) system from Bilstein. I have owned Eibach's before and they are fine, but you are comparing that set up to coilovers w/ fully adjustable ride height. Come on, save your change for few months and rationalize to yourself that they are the last suspension components you will ever buy...until of course, the next car comes along.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Here's your cheapest solution (although I wouldn't recommend it)

Buy AGX/KYB adjustable gas shock, dirt cheap, made in Japan. Will last a few years then they'll most likely blow. I'm not sure whether or not they have lifetime warranty, but Bilstein does. If you're not even planning on keeping your car that long, maybe you'll want to consider this.

As for lowering springs, look around on some other forums. I'm sure you could find a used set pretty cheap. If you don't mind buying used dampers, even those can be purchased quite cheaply. Remember, Bilstein has lifetime warranty. :thumbs Something else to take into consideration if you plan on keeping your car long term. I'm not sure whether or not the PSS system has lifetime warranty. This is something you should consider because reguardless of the price or quality of the shock, they can be unpredictable. Shocks can blow whether they are 1 year old or 10 years old.

Bry

·
Registered
391 Posts
Even the best shocks can blow. I put Knoi Adjustable shocks and Eibach springs on a friends Passat last month and the right front shock has blown already. Buy a part that the manufacturer will stand behind and at least you won't get hit with parts costs twice.
Ben

·
Registered
128 Posts
furious, i dont mind if the ride gets a little stiffer
and the height- i like how the sport suspension
height is now, however i wouldnt mind it a little lower, i just
dont want to be bottoming out all the time.

What is the best all around set Up? the one that you can
adjust for 900$?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the input guys. One more thing on the sachs suspension, someone said it wasn't suitable with lowering springs but I found a package by sachs that includes lowering springs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey guy, a little heads up. H&R cup kits are out of stock EVERYWHERE for at least 6 weeks.

Right now im having a special.

PSS Coilovers $900 Shipped
PSS9 Coilovers $1300 Shipped

Sway Bar Link Kit (Required with PSS9) $75
5MM Spacers Recommended with Bilstien CO Kits $100

All in stock, ready to ship.. Contact me for more details.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts