BMW Werkz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm getting winter tires that I am planning to mount on the sport EOM wheels that came stock with the car, that is 225/45R17 (diameter is 29.97") for the tires and 17"x8" for the wheels.

I am thinking of getting

17" x 7.5" with 225/45R17 (diameter is 24.97") for front

and

17" x 8.5" with 245/40R17 (diameter is 24.72") for rear

to use during non-winter seasons (will probably get a Z rated Michelin Pilot Sport - good reviews!)

Those are the same exact dimensions that are used on a 330i equipped with the sport package.

Two things that doesn't seem right:

1. the diameter difference seems rather large (I read on tirerack that it should be within 0.04" for plus sizing, which I am not, but I assume the same principle should apply here). But since BMW ships with that configuration, I guess that would make it OK??

2. the odometer reading, would that change significantly because now the rear wheels/tires
are different from the stock dimensions? Because of the smaller size, can I expect the odometer
to run up much faster? Any idea on that?

Any suggestions perhaps for a different size combinations welcome. Thanks!

:driving

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Welcome!
those are the proper tire sizes for the 330 rims. and it shouldnt make a noticeable difference in your speedometer reading. but i dont get how you got that two 225/45/17 tires are 5in apart in diameter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. it's always good to double check making sure I'm all right. I hope the larger rear rim will fit on my 325 no problemo.

> but i dont get how you got that two 225/45/17 tires are 5in apart in diameter

Are you referring to how I got the diameter of each tire? Or the 0.04" difference that are usually recommeded for plus sizing your wheel?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by m_power@Nov 23 2003, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. it's always good to double check making sure I'm all right. I hope the larger rear rim will fit on my 325 no problemo.

> but i dont get how you got that two 225/45/17 tires are 5in apart in diameter

Are you referring to how I got the diameter of each tire? Or the 0.04" difference that are usually recommeded for plus sizing your wheel?

i meant how can one 225/45/17 tire diameter be 24.97" and the other 29.97" when they are the same size tire and rim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the new set of wheels and tires that I am planning to get next spring are -

17" x 7.5" with "225/45R17" (diameter is 24.97") for front

and

17" x 8.5" with "245/40R17" (diameter is 24.72") for rear

The rear wheels are 1" wider, and the rear tire size different from the front (245/40 v/s 225/45).

For the winter tires, I'll use the 17"x8" wheels with 225/45R17 both front and rear.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
welcome aboard m_power!! :welcome B)

the 330's wheels will definately fit in your 325. you will not have any problems fitting them in. the differences in your odometer readings are very little to notice anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey thanks for the reply.

wider tires obviously weigh more. do you think the lost in acceleration / power
will be noticeable? the good thing is that i have a manual :yup

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i'm not sure if it will be noticeable or not. soon, i'm gonna get some wider tires and rims for mine. i should be able to tell once i do that.

i'm guessing it depends on the weight of the rims too, not just the tires.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by m_power@Nov 23 2003, 02:18 PM
hey thanks for the reply.

wider tires obviously weigh more. do you think the lost in acceleration / power
will be noticeable? the good thing is that i have a manual :yup
if anything, under all out acceleration, you will accelerate faster since slightly wider tires will increase your lateral grip by a small amount (depends alot on what kind of tires you buy also). i really dont think you will notice any loss in performance, so this is a good upgrade you are doing especially with the Pilot Sports :thumbs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts