BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the speedometer isn't working whatso ever on my gauge cluster, the RPM's and everything else work fine, the sensors on my diff looked fine to me, i took a look at em. but yeah i was wanting to see, i was told my best bet would be that my speedometer in my gauge is messed badly and that i need a new gauge cluster, is this the problem? :wrench or is there another thing that could be wrong and easily fixed? the speedometer on my obc isn't working at all either.
its actually my speedometer and my trip odometer are not working at all. thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
check and see if its a fuse. my tach went out one time driving me to an absolute panic till i read the manual and checked the fuse, and sure enough that was it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If the speedo AND the odo aren't working, it could be the signal to the instrument cluster.
What car do you have?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a 1985 528E
All of the fuses in that box under the hood are fine, are there any hidden ones i should check?
how could i check if it was the signal going to it? thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Don't fret yet. You need to pull the cluster out. Typically what happens is that corrosion builds up on the contacts between the gauges and the boards. Also, the attaching nuts coming loose which also creates a weak contact. Last but not least, you might also need to perform the board update with the nicad batteries. Check out pelicanparts.com, you can contact Jared there and he'll help you with your part purchase. Let 'em know I sent you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've taken out the cluster before, everything looked fine. but okies i'll go to that website, waht is your name so i know? and yeah its a dinosaur, but its still a good bmw

·
Registered
497 Posts
M5power, I spoke with Jared and he says to directly email him [email protected]
Just tell him EXtech sent you.

Old or not, you're right.. it's still a good car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alrite, thanks alot for the help, this forum is great

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1983 528e one owner, it is immaculate, everything works except for speedometer and related items, i.e. cruise control, odometer/tripometer, the digital display works in all modes but speed and distance related. I am very DIY person, I have replaced trans axle sendering unit (cheapest fix) no success, replaced nicades on the cluster, the Varta's did not leak, board looks clean and no obvious burns or defects, both white and blue connectors on back of cluster are in correct posistion and places, however i did notice that the service indicator light cluster was removed along with it's ribbon cable that connects to cluster board. I was told to replace the cluster board, and would not mind spending the money if i knew for sure that it would fix situation.

Anyone have exactly the same problem and or maybe a test or check i can perform?

Any help would be appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts