BMW Werkz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is something that I have pondered in my 15+ years of driving.

I know that as a fellow courteous driver, I certainly like it when someone gives me the ole High Beam Flash to let me know that there is a cop sitting up ahead waiting to add some money to the counties coffers.

Whenever I see smokey sittin' on the side of the road, I do the same thing to other drivers.

I notice that some of them slow down immediately (I see their brake lights in my rear view mirror). Others don't react (or at least they don't hit the brakes) at all.

Here are my questions:
1) is there an accepted method for communicating how far ahead the cop is by the number of flashes of your high beams? Example: 1 flash equals <1 mile. 2 flashes equal about 2 miles. Or is it the other way around. Multiple flashes equals right around the corner, slow down immediately!!! and 1 flash equals he is somewhere in the next 5 miles.

2) is there a distance at which you stop flashing your lights to oncoming motorists? The fear is that if they react immediately, they will be looking around, and if they don't see him in the next mile, they will resume speeding.
Personally, if there is a cop on the road I am driving for the next 6-8 miles, I want to know about it.

3) what is the accepted method for warning others at night? Obviously the ole high beam flash will be met with animosity as people will think that you are telling them their highbeams are on. Plus, with zenons, I don't like to flash people at night so as not to burn their retinas out! :thud

SO what is the rule?
Thoughts and suggestions welcome :cheers

Piece (yeah that kind)
Joe

·
Registered
729 Posts
this i noted is much more common in europe than us. but, i always flash. no code for distance to my knowledge. btw, blind me with your xenons anytime, i'd rather have retinopathy than lose my license...

peter

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just flicker the lights twice. Here alot of people are not oblivious to this flash warning. I do it just in case though after about 30sec i stop because, like you said, they may think i was just playing with the lights and ignore the warning. OH, and i always do it out of the view of the cop. At night it's easier for the cop to see your warnings to other cars. Just gives him one more reason to pull me over.

And you know.... I don't believe I've ever been warned...:paranoid

Dough

1 - 4 of 4 Posts