BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I own a 2000 w/ jet black paint (i think). I bought it used and I believe its been repainted a 2nd time. I like to keep it clean except I don't have time to hand wash it myself all the time so I take it to the automatic car wash at least once every two weeks.

Is this bad?

And after the wash, on a sunny day I can make out faint smoke swirls on the car, hard to notice but its there when the sun reflects. Is this from the car wash or the paint job? And how can I get it off? Any advice on how to keep a black car looking sexy, thanx.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
what do you mean by smoke swirls?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
yea, never take your bimmer to one of those driver through car washes. its going to break down the paint quicker and leave little swirl markes all over it. what i dont understand is how your car wouldve been repainted since its only a 2000. bmw uses a very advanced method of painting their cars and it beats me why anyone would want to take it off and repaint it. as to your last question, you should use wax to bring out that shine and you should dust it frequently to reduce the buildup of dirt and dust

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was repainted by the previous owner because it got into a small accident, so there was slight body work done to it... it was a crap paint job too.

the swirls are like... hazy and vague little smoke swirls... i don't know how to explain it. u usually can only see it off the reflection of the sun, under a shade u can't tell.

its cold here, so i can't wash it myself all the time. how often should i get it waxed?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
they are scratches. take a clay bar to it when it warms up. or try a professional detailing/buffing shop to try and get the swirls out

·
Registered
497 Posts
NEVER take your BMW to an automatic car wash; it will definitely leave small scratches/swirl marks on your car.

Very difficult to get scratches/swirl marks out manually.

Will either need to purchase a random orbital polisher or pay a professional :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Any tips on finding a quality detailer? I have seen a couple of car washes that have detailers, but I don't know if I can trust them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts