BMW Werkz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused on how the tranny works in these. I don't really understand how they work and what you do. Do you always manuely change the gears or is it like most autos these days with tiptronic?
I might consider one so the girlfriend can drive it with out worrying about stalling.

· Premium Member
14,704 Posts
Some, if not most, are shifted by "flappy paddles" (quote borrowed from Top Gear) on the the steering wheel. In any case, the dual clutch set up is heavier than a fully manual gear box, though not quite so much as a fully auto box.

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She knows how to drive stick just not really good at it, shes still somewhat nervous about it. Its heavier than a regular auto? Chances are Ill get a stick for sure, but was considering the benefits of having the smg.

· Registered
19 Posts
Some, if not most, are shifted by "flappy paddles" (quote borrowed from Top Gear) on the the steering wheel. In any case, the dual clutch set up is heavier than a fully manual gear box, though not quite so much as a fully auto box.
SMG uses a dual clutch setup?? i know the e90 does, but does the e46 also?? because i donno if i missed it but was the car looking mentioned??

· Registered
560 Posts
My Understanding is that the SMG trans that BMW offers (e46 and earlier) were always clunky when in auto mode. I don't know what the setups are on the newer cars though. Just teach the GF how to drive a stick and make her practice.

· Registered
2,355 Posts
E46 M3 SMG uses the same s6s 420g transmission as the standard m3. Same clutch/flywheel too. It just has a computer and a hydraulic system to do the shifting and clutching for you.

I was damn tempted to try to use the SMG shifting mechanism and computers in my 6 speed swap on my car. Just too much custom electronics, too much down time for my liking - and thats SMG's true flaw.. a lot more parts to fail vs a std transmission depending on if you are buying used, and how long you keep cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.