BMW Werkz banner

SMG

7K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  M3Rider 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I am thinking about trading in my 323 for a new m3 and cannot decided on if I want the 6-speed manual tranny, or smg. I was wondering if someone here that has the SMG can let me know how you like it. I was leading towards trying it until I just read a review in motortrend on the Z4 with SMG and said this:
"So far, the only questionable option is the SMG box: it's been giving staffers fits with sluggish shifts, grinding gears, and lodgeing itself in neutral."
To me, those sound like SERIOUS problems and I'm sure BMW must (I hope atleast) have a fix for them. I just want to make sure I don't hear my gears grinding in my new m3, I would probably faint.

BTW: I'm new here, but love it here already! Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
Originally posted by sldram@Oct 17 2003, 01:10 PM
Hi guys, I am thinking about trading in my 323 for a new m3 and cannot decided on if I want the 6-speed manual tranny, or smg. I was wondering if someone here that has the SMG can let me know how you like it. I was leading towards trying it until I just read a review in motortrend on the Z4 with SMG and said this:
"So far, the only questionable option is the SMG box: it's been giving staffers fits with sluggish shifts, grinding gears, and lodgeing itself in neutral."
To me, those sound like SERIOUS problems and I'm sure BMW must (I hope atleast) have a fix for them. I just want to make sure I don't hear my gears grinding in my new m3, I would probably faint.

I test-drove a Z4 w/ SMG a few days ago. Honestly, if that's the level and sophistication of SMG you should expect from the M3 version, then I would definitely go without it. The shifting was dull at lower RPMs unless I lifted off. Startup was somewhat slow, too; definitely not as responsive as letting the clutch out yourself. The CA assured me that the M3 version was a lot smoother, which I hope is true. I'm sure there are posters here who can prove/disprove the statement. B)

I just ordered a 2004 M3 without SMG, by the way.

#3 ·
nothing beats 3 pedals

#6 ·
Originally posted by m42technic@Oct 17 2003, 03:18 PM
The SMG seems like something that you WONT want to have when your warranty runs out. Also from what I hear the SMG adds about 200 lbs to the car. That in itself is enough for me to not want it.
I thought about the added weight, too, but I don't think it's as much as 200 lb. The SMG-equipped M3 that Car and Driver tested in 2002 weighed about 3,500 lb compared to the standard's 3,415 lb., and the test car may have more than SMG in addition to the base model.

I am just an average driver... I'm sure I could drive faster with SMG on the race track. I just couldn't give up on the 3-pedal fun. :D

G
#7 ·
the SMG in all non-m models is not the same smg as in the M3. The SMG found in the 325/330/Z4's is what in europe is known as SSG....it doesnt have the 6 modes like M3 SMG has, nor does it shift as fast. M3 SMG is simply amazing....

#8 ·
Originally posted by daihard+Oct 17 2003, 01:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (daihard @ Oct 17 2003, 01:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sldram@Oct 17 2003, 01:10 PM
Hi guys, I am thinking about trading in my 323 for a new m3 and cannot decided on if I want the 6-speed manual tranny, or smg. I was wondering if someone here that has the SMG can let me know how you like it.  I was leading towards trying it until I just read a review in motortrend on the Z4 with SMG and said this:

I test-drove a Z4 w/ SMG a few days ago. Honestly, if that's the level and sophistication of SMG you should expect from the M3 version, then I would definitely go without it. The shifting was dull at lower RPMs unless I lifted off. Startup was somewhat slow, too; definitely not as responsive as letting the clutch out yourself. The CA assured me that the M3 version was a lot smoother, which I hope is true. I'm sure there are posters here who can prove/disprove the statement. B)

I just ordered a 2004 M3 without SMG, by the way. [/b][/quote]
Thanks for the replies guys. It seems most of the people who have answered think that the manual tranny is the way to go. I didn't even think of the weight issue!

My bmw now is manual and I love it, I don't think I could ever go back to auto. I know what you guys mean about the 3rd pedal, all the fun of manual is in the clutch, you take that out and it's almost as boring as auto.

But I just had to ask, smg does have a coolness to it because of the more buttons, you can't ever have enough of those... :) But it seems like i'll stick to manual.

#10 ·
haha yes go with the manual. more buttons=more stuff to break once warranty ends

#13 ·
Originally posted by MrM3+Oct 19 2003, 12:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrM3 @ Oct 19 2003, 12:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bimmer328isss@Oct 17 2003, 03:41 PM
but for racing purposes...(it shifts in i believe 3 miliseconds, wow) thats not humanely possible unless you have superman-like foot and hand speed
actually it shifts in .08seconds in S6. SMG2 could match the speed of Ferraris F1 paddle shifters in S2 [/b][/quote]
like i said, if your planning on racing it, smg is the way to go...you have different shift speed settings and you have a button that turns off asc and all that traction control stuff. theres no way to shift as fast as an smg can

#14 ·
Originally posted by bimmer328isss@Oct 19 2003, 01:54 PM
like i said, if your planning on racing it, smg is the way to go...you have different shift speed settings and you have a button that turns off asc and all that traction control stuff. theres no way to shift as fast as an smg can
Rumour has it that the next-generation M3/4 will only offer SMG (i.e. no 3-pedal manual). We might as well enjoy the conventional stick shift while we can... :screwy

#15 ·
Originally posted by daihard+Oct 19 2003, 11:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (daihard @ Oct 19 2003, 11:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bimmer328isss@Oct 19 2003, 01:54 PM
Rumour has it that the next-generation M3/4 will only offer SMG (i.e. no 3-pedal manual). We might as well enjoy the conventional stick shift while we can... :screwy [/b][/quote]
I dunno, you think?... SMG is cool but I think bmw would upset A LOT of die hard fans by doing something like that. It seems here that most people enjoy the straight manual... besides, it's cheaper, I rather spend smg money on a navigation or something like that. I don't know what their numbers are but if 70% or more of the m3 sold today are with a manual tranny, they would be foolish to take that option away from us.

#16 ·
well i got done riding in a m3 with the smg and i like it driving around citys in traffic with a stick sucks ass anyway you cut it. with the smg you can pop it into auto and start and stop with no proplem plus traffic on steep hills is no longer a problem. also you don't need to take your hands away from that wheel which comes in handy when powering though turns and freeways. :cheers

#17 ·
In some cars I would definitly prefer manual, but in the E46 M3 I think I would chose the SMG II, why you ask...well no specific reason other than my own personal prefernce. I think you should drive both before you decide, and take the SMG for an extra long drive, from what I hear its tuff getting used to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.