BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it bother anyone else that the SMG II allows a driver to accelerate and shift faster than a true enthusiast (stick-shift driver)?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
well in a way yes. i like having a clutch pedal. however it is still nice to have for racing

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My point is basically that by learning and mastering a stick-shift, the driver would reap the rewards (faster shifting/acceleration/etc). However, with the SMG II, there are nothing but disadvantages to driving a stick-shift.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i read in another thread that it made the cars weight a considerable amount more..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by CBA@Nov 30 2003, 02:23 PM
i read in another thread that it made the cars weight a considerable amount more..
The person who made that statement was proven to be incorrect.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
not really. I mean, if an auto can outshine manual, then Im all for it. You make it sound like its going on everycar made by every car company. Its a performance tranny for performance BMWs. I see nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After having driven both a stick and an SMG. For street use the SMG is awesome. I have autoX'd it and it is fine. For pure racing on a track I would still stay with the stick. There are things you can do with the stick that you can't with an SMG like feathering the clutch and double clutching. Just my 2 cents. :driving

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Originally posted by the///man@Dec 2 2003, 09:53 AM
uhh the smg automatically double clutches
aye mate he is right

·
Registered
345 Posts
doesnt bother me, my favorite thing about a stick is bein able to play with the clutch. One of my friends has SMG in her new M3, she let me drive it, and i would definitly prefer a stick, even though the smg maybe faster, still not near as fun.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Originally posted by KingScare@Dec 2 2003, 10:59 AM
noob alert spoiler...

what is double clutching?
pushing the clutch in, bringing the selector lever to neutral, release the clutch, blip the throttle to rev match for next gear, push in the clutch, select gear, release clutch

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
it today's modern synchromesh transmissions it really isnt needed. single declutching works just fine.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That's madness...your ride would just slightly burn and then keep rolling no?? But i dont get how this is a positive thing? i guess the extra time you take to get back into gear is worth the jolt when you enter the next gear?

thank you for the info.

what's the///man talking about? isnt what lwebb describe already double clutching?? Or is there another cluth press in the sequence? Or did i misunderstand?

:dunno

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
yes you push the clutch in twice during the whole sequence hence the term "double clutching". it is benificial because it somehow delivers more power or something.im not too sure about what it does

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Originally posted by Insomniac@Nov 30 2003, 01:28 PM
Does it bother anyone else that the SMG II allows a driver to accelerate and shift faster than a true enthusiast (stick-shift driver)?
well....not really. just get SMG if you want really fast shifts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The SMG has all the advantages of a manual as well as an automatic. It always shifts for you at the perfect points but it doesn't have the drawbacks of a torque convertor or automatic tranny. You should drive a stick for your own personal satisfaction, not because it makes you more elite than the guy next to you. I don't know why it would bother you for someone else to have an SMG.

Double clutching has a couple of benefits. Firstly, it puts less wear on the synchromesh and clutch plate because when you re-engage the gear they are already spinning at engine RPMs. From a racing standpoint, having your RPMs matched allows the clutch to catch faster and begin transferring power to the wheels more quickly giving you a boost out of a corner. Plus it's way elite like in The Fast and the Furious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts