BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone and thanks for your help in advance.
I hace a '93 318i BMW with 121K miles on it. I bought it 3 weeks ago. I noticed some slugginess and a bit of slowness when I drive under 3 rd gear. But most importantly is problem #2: Driving today the car started shaking as if that the engine was not receiving the adequate amount of gas. So while I am on neutral the engine runs under 1000rpm and it feels like the car is going to shut down.
this happened all of a sudden, the engine is not running smoothly and continues to shake even while I am speeding.
PS: just changed the oil & filter as well as checked all liquids in the car

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
800 rpm is the correct idle. Is yours below that? Rough idle could be caused by a few things. Also, if you have an automatic, that is why it is sluggish at first. If not, it still wont make much power until you hit around 3k rpm.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
i missed the line at the end. If the engine is shaking a lot at speed detonation would be my first guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help. I was more thinking about old sparks or filter. I am not really sure. when it is is on neutral (automatic speed), the car engine keeps going between 500rpm and 1000rpm and seems sometimes like it is going to stop.
this fluctuation continues wven when I am at 2nd or 3rd gear.
Can it be the gas pump?

·
Registered
162 Posts
i had the same problem with a 92 pontiac. and it DID stall.. it was actualyl a hole in some exhast pipe i think. have the mechanic check it out. he'll ONLY charge $20 to put a piece of duct tape on the hole! woohoo!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Originally posted by Walker@Oct 13 2003, 05:42 PM
i had the same problem with a 92 pontiac. and it DID stall.. it was actualyl a hole in some exhast pipe i think. have the mechanic check it out. he'll ONLY charge $20 to put a piece of duct tape on the hole! woohoo!
you paid $20 for a small strip of duct tape...

·
Registered
3 Posts
During idle, does your engine surge from 1100-500 RPM and eventually shut off? It usually occurs after acceleration, i.e. you let go of the accelerator or switch gears to neutral position while driving. If so, change the Idle Control Valve (ICV) immediately. I had a problem like this with my 318is and replacing that part fixed it. Good luck.

swordfish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts