BMW Werkz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two slightly bent rims (left front and left rear). Would this wear out the tire tread over a long period of time? Or is it something I shouldn't worry about too much?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by pooskay@May 6 2005, 08:10 AM
I have two slightly bent rims (left front and left rear). Would this wear out the tire tread over a long period of time? Or is it something I shouldn't worry about too much?
[snapback]341427[/snapback]​
These are some of the same questions I have...plus

Can a bent rim affect the alignment or cause you to feel "pulses" on the steering wheel?

obviously, if a rim was really flat sided, everything would be going wrong...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by bob1998ic@May 25 2005, 08:11 AM
anyone?
[snapback]347692[/snapback]​

I would say Yes, bent rims will cause the wheel to wobble. I was having that and some "whump whump" noises and vibrations. It appeared that one rim was def. bent like your pic. So I bought another wheel from Wheel Collision Center in PA.
Then I took it to my tire guy for mounting and balancing. Well guess what?
I didn't just have one bent rim, but two. :wrench

So I bought another wheel. Will be taking it back to the tire guy this Saturday. This should fix the problem. Will let y'all know how it transpires... :driving

·
Power Shifting
3,677 Posts
yes.. bent rims will cause vibrations... and pulsing.. and even some vibration when brakeing...

if it annoys u that much, then u should get them fixed.. i know a place near me, that charges 85 a wheel to fix...

this is somthing i should do in the near future

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too had 2 bent rims that showed on balancing. Ive replaced
the rack and pinion steering
4 tires
lower control arms for a steering shake.

I just bought 4 new rims ----now it is solid as a rock. Big difference.

bob

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you going to keep using it, you might face different kind of problem, like brokem hub assembly. You dont want that, trust me :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
As long as it balances out it shouldn't be a problem. I have one rim that is not very pretty, but it balances out. If it doesn't balance, then you have to get it fixed or that might be your excuse to get the rims you always wanted. :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
As long as it balances out it shouldn't be a problem. I have one rim that is not very pretty, but it balances out. If it doesn't balance, then you have to get it fixed or that might be your excuse to get the rims you always wanted. :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by theogill@May 27 2005, 08:42 AM
[snapback]348298[/snapback]​
I agree, but in the photo of the rim, there is no spin-balance weight on this rim...I don't know if this wheel ever had one, or if it was lost when this rim became bent. Either way, at 50 Mph, the steering wheel shakes a bit....but not at speed lower or higher. This has me thinking that its a balance problem with this rim...and at 50 Mph, it is finding resonance frequency for maximum vibration..

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I had the wheel mounted and it turns out I needed two new tires as well. Belts were separated in the one on the bent rim. Settled on some Speed Rated Dunlops. Lemme tell ya, it's night and day! No more steering wheel shakes, "whump whumps" or vibrations. Smooth as silk.

If you've got bent rims, get 'em straightened or buy new ones and then check the tires. It'll make a world of differences.

My wallet's a little lighter, but my ride is SWEET! :yezfunny

Originally posted by billybimmer05+May 26 2005, 06:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billybimmer05 @ May 26 2005, 06:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bob1998ic@May 25 2005, 08:11 AM
anyone?
[snapback]347692[/snapback]​

I would say Yes, bent rims will cause the wheel to wobble. I was having that and some "whump whump" noises and vibrations. It appeared that one rim was def. bent like your pic. So I bought another wheel from Wheel Collision Center in PA.
Then I took it to my tire guy for mounting and balancing. Well guess what?
I didn't just have one bent rim, but two. :wrench

So I bought another wheel. Will be taking it back to the tire guy this Saturday. This should fix the problem. Will let y'all know how it transpires... :driving
[snapback]348162[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts