BMW Werkz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am soon to get my black m3 back bumper.....most likeley this week....definately b4 jan 21st.....its going to be black...and my sideskirts and front bumper gray....lol....i wanted to do the DIY gray side skirt removal but i wasnt sure if i should do it now.....its 18 degrees outside....should i wait till it gets warmer?.....after i remove the grey, wut color is the side skirts?.....is it already the color of the car?....or do i have to paint it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
the sideskirt is black underneath the paint. well on my bimmer it is. only reason i know that is because i have a few "chips" on my sideskirts. dont know if that helped, oh well teeeheehee

Attachments

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the sideskirts are body color underneath, but I would wait until it gets warmer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could the CSC harm your body paint?....doesnt it make more sense to remove the sideskirts from the car, go thru the removal process then put them back on?....i owuld assume so, but none of the DIY sites do that//..anyone have b4 and after pics?.....would i look like a fool when i'm driving aroud with a black front and back and grey side skirts for these winter months?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
only cars 96+ have removeable sideskirts. And yes, the CSC can harm the paint if you leave it on too long. That is why you want to wash it off once the grey is gone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doh..my car is a 94'......so ur saying that if i wanted to change my sideskirts, to say m3 or any aftermarkket sideskirts, i wouldnt be able to?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
you can, but it is my understanding they go over the factory ones.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i want to do this, but i keep putting it off, if any of you guys do this can u take some before/after and some during pics??

·
Registered
698 Posts
Putting new sideskirts on older models intails going over the factorys ones. I believe they actually use the jack hole to attch and some screws. I'm gonna do the DIY with lacquer thinner as soon as we finish our new house with the heated garage.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Lacquer thinner in your closed heated garage.........nice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey guys.. i have a 94 318is, would i be able to do this project? is there paint under the grey on the 94's?

thanks

:wrench

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
yes, you can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts