BMW Werkz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone..i'm on the market for some new shocks. i was looking at some bilstiens..but there seem to be more than one kind of bilstein shocks. what kind would you peeps suggest? i need a good bang for the buck shock. thanks

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
it depends on what you want out of it. There basic shock is good if you dont drive hard or your car isnt lowered. If you want a slightly stiffer ride, the sport would be good. Regardless of what you get, with bilsteins you'll be happy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well..my car is lowered with eibach i believe..and i'm just going to use them for everyday driving. it feels like my shocks are gone..but im not 100% is there a simple way i can test my shocks without having to take them out of the car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most shocks leak when they're on their way out. Take a peak underneath your car and see if you see anything wet looking on the sides or leaking. It's hard to notice your shocks weakening because it is very gradual. OEM Boge shocks star going out around 50-60k and are usually dead by 70k miles.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Try the "old as dirt" shock test.

1) push down on any corner of the car, enough to push it down a few inches.

2) let go of the car.

3) count the number of times that the side of the car bounces.

4) repeat on the other 3 corners of the car.

5) if anything falls off the car when you do this test, replace it before anyone notices...

If all four corners of the car only one large bounce, your shocks are good! If one or more corners do two large bounces, then its time to get new shocks. If any corners do more than two large bounces, then they should have been replaced thousands of miles/kilometers ago... :p

It's best to replace both of the fronts or the back shocks together, even if only one fails the test.

BTW, if you hear a clicking noise from the rear of the car when you run over a pothole, or a bump in the road, you may have to replace your shock tower mounts. Now, if you hear a screaming noise from the rear of the car when you run over what you thought was a pothole, or a bump in the road, you may have call 911, then your lawyer. :laughhead:

Shocks, rear shock tower replacements, and coil over kits (for that matter) are available on EBAY.

:wrench Make sure your favorite mechanic will install these parts if you don't buy the parts from your mechanic...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts