BMW Werkz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 328i has a intermittent shimmy in wheel.I just had the conrtol arms replaced.Steering wheel shimmies,then noticed passenger front wheel extremely hot.Is it a sticky caliper?Any other ideas?What is a good rebuilt caliper?Also,any reccomendations on brake pads?Where to order these parts from?Is it a easy DIY to change out cliper?Please help...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im thinking its the passenger side caliper.I had my fluid changed and my mechanic said the calipers were ok,just need to watch them.It only shimmies like once a week.Should I just change them out?Who sells good remanufactured?

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
If the brake caliper is sticking chances are you're going to need to rebuild the caliper by replacing the piston. This is a fairly easy task and you can buy the rebuild kit through Turner Motorsport.

If you're not looking to add braking performance to your brakes stick with standard pads and rotors. On the other hand, if you would like to add some performance look into slotted rotors and ceramic pads. There's really an infinite amount of combinations when it comes to rotor/pads.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
all the above considered... OR, a bad wheel bearing causing the rotor to wobble.

The wobble will cause the shimmy you feel; and,

The wobble will cause friction on different parts of the rotor, thus, the heat as complained of.

Take note though.... if the shimmy is felt only on braking, then it is the rotors, that are warped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.