BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Problem that i've had since i got the car, but didnt address it until now... When my wheels are straight like this (imagine these are wheels lol) | | My steering wheel is shifted about 1/8th of a turn counterclockwise. So, how can i fix this? do i need to have my whole alignment done? It's nothing important really, it drives straight and smoothly, it's just kinda annoying....

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am pretty Sure alignemt would fix this problem, its nothign severe!! I have seen people who's steeering wheels are 1/4 the way to side when going straight!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Probably was aligned incorrectly. When the toe adjustment is done any adjustment should be divided between the left and right tie rod's. This keeps the steering wheel centered. If the guy doing the alignment is in a hurry he might adjust only one of the tie rod's. The toe might still be correct but the steering wheel is off centered.
If you get it aligned make sure you tell the tech about the steering wheel.

·
Registered
434 Posts
An alignment will correct it. If an alignment is done correctly, the wheel should be straight, unless the car has a tire pull, and you have to constantly correct it all the time.
Now, the alignment machine we use at work does a good job, but many times the steering wheel doesn't come out perfect-like I want it to. For some reason, they never could get the thing to keep the steering wheel straight.
If you want, you can pull off the steering wheel, turn it one notch the way you need, and put it back on.
Unofficial fix. :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by TECH@Jan 20 2004, 07:40 PM
An alignment will correct it. If an alignment is done correctly, the wheel should be straight, unless the car has a tire pull, and you have to constantly correct it all the time.
Now, the alignment machine we use at work does a good job, but many times the steering wheel doesn't come out perfect-like I want it to. For some reason, they never could get the thing to keep the steering wheel straight.
If you want, you can pull off the steering wheel, turn it one notch the way you need, and put it back on.
Unofficial fix. :D
thanks a lot for all of the info, and tech, how can i go about pulling off the wheel?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by wiseman168@Jan 21 2004, 04:05 AM
:p

Maybe you already equipped with the New 5 "Active Steering" LOL
lol, not quite.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you search around you can find a shop with top of the line equipment, Hunter has their new machine and program with a steering sweep in it that allows for proper steering wheel alignment. It can be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts