BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, the shifter on my 85 318i is really loose ... wut i mean is that for example while i am in 5th gear i can move the stick so that it looks like it is in 3rd without actually switching gears... is this normal for this car??? if not how do i go about fixing it??? thanx for any help!

Rob :driving

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry bout that

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
its probably a bushing on the shift lever. its gonna be really tough to fix cause you have to drop the driveshaft to get to it, but the part itself is really cheap

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O ok .... thanx for the help!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
no no no, dont get all worried there is only 1 main bushing you have to drop the drive shaft for and thats the shift arm bushing, otherwise you can change everything else with it still on. It sounds to me like the actual plastic on the shift arm itself has worn down, or maybe the shift cup. Both of those are moderatly easy to replace and are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AH! some one make up my mind lol!! :D .... thanx for that info .... im prolly goin to get a short shifter neway .... so i guess i will take care of that while i install the new one ..... if i have ne questions along the way ill ask .... o btw ... where is a good place to find a short shifter ??? and how easy are they to install?? thanks again

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Dealership. Using OEM parts costs about $70 and is the same if not better than all those other name brand stuff. I have the list of part numbers and prices and ill put them up if you want. Its relatively easy to change it just takes lots of light and smaller hands and patience.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just pick up a Z3 shifter from the dealer. If you want a really short throw, then get a Z4 shifter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea ... those prices would be awesome .... thanx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey ... i just got a new boot ...but it didnt come with that plastic base thing.... was wondering the best way to get it off the original.... anyone have any ideas??? thanx

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
exacto blade, the origional ones are basically heat shrinked on

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hey merob, dont bother with the z3 shifter, its not big enough of a difference to warrent the price. Go for the z4 shifter, if you want to do it i have a full price and part numbers and a full picture history of mine. btw this is the difference

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
2 from the side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
and 3, post removal pre install

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
HOLY CRAP! if i had known the z3 3.0 was that good i would have bougt it. Holy shit that would reduce throw by like... 60%!!! Id pay to have my transmission dropped to put that badboy in.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Originally posted by Fox@Aug 17 2003, 04:06 PM
HOLY CRAP! if i had known the z3 3.0 was that good i would have bougt it. Holy shit that would reduce throw by like... 60%!!! Id pay to have my transmission dropped to put that badboy in.
i'll buy the z4 lever off you if you decide to do that :p

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ok.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how difficult is it to install a new shifter ???? does it require alot of part removal ???? just wondering for if i get it.. thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts