BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all ... i have a 1985 318I and i was wondering how to get the shift knob off .... looking to replace it because the one that is on it is the original and is quite beat up .... any help would be great .. thanx

Rob

·
Registered
191 Posts
i know when i replaced my shift knob, the owners before me had hot glued it on, so if its an old, broken down one..what i did was took a razor blade and cut it off, but if you plan on keeping it just pull really hard. Some are harder to get off than others.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Another trick is to place your car in 2.nd gear - place your self on the back seat and pull hard.

Then will you land safer once it's off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:help While we are on the subject .... would anyone have a shifter boot for this car that is in good condition ... or know of anywhere i might be able to find such a thing .... if not wut do i have to look for in order to find another boot that fits my car?? thanks for the help

Rob :driving

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ebay often has many oem ones for a decent price but if you want another type you can get one (at a few good price) from bmwfx.com. Go check it out

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If i were you i would make my own boot out of flanel(can't spell) thats like red and green then i would burn it.......then i would take it to the dealership and be like i brought my car here yesterday for a checkup and they burnt my boot......if he says he doesn't know what the hell you are talking about......act like you are bipolar and whip around in a circle.......then with a clint eastwood look and voice grab his shirt and be all......you....will....get me.....that boot......

·
Registered
26 Posts
i know that when i replaced my 335es one you have to peel up the little plasic peice that tells you were the gears are on top of the knob and then there is a screw, unscrew it and it will be easier to pull the knob off. ASIO...good suggestion LOL!.
peace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts