BMW Werkz banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,354 Posts
think they would look good black, iknow magnesium is highly flammable but i think u have to actually light it to get a good fire. just to be safe wear a mask for the dust
Sand it very slowly with a silica based sand paper. Using a grinder/polisher could cause it to ignite with certain types and high speeds. The autoignition temp is only in the 800 degree range and a spark can set it off.

· Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't know, the guy that had the car before me has mag cleaner...

i just figured that if he had mag cleaner he would have mag rims, i mean it made sense to me....

but then again he wasn't a car guy, maybe he just got the first cleaning product with a picture of a car rim on it?

thanks for the heads up, i'll look into it.

· Registered
650 Posts
They are prob aluminium man. Should be able to tap on them and tell the diff.

They are aluminium, you can tell by how the wheel weights are supposed to go on! Unless mag weights are the same...

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
Magnesium wheels are very light (and very soft). On a street driven car, they'd get bent within the first 10 miles; I think they're aluminum, which means you can sand them however you want.

· Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i'm pretty sure they are...

i just don't know if i want to sand them down or not...that's not really something you can come back from.

once you sand up the wheels they are pretty messed up...

i don't know, hopefully i can find some decent rims / tires for pretty cheap.

· Premium Member
14,769 Posts
yeah i'm pretty sure they are...

i just don't know if i want to sand them down or not...that's not really something you can come back from.

once you sand up the wheels they are pretty messed up...

i don't know, hopefully i can find some decent rims / tires for pretty cheap.
Use fine grit and wetsand, then paint when you're done.

I had silver wheels on my Suby, put the car in some bushes, scratched the crap out of 3 wheels, bent 1 ... bought 1 replacement, sanded them all down and painted them gold. Looked factory.

If you take your time, you can make them look brand new again.

· Registered
23 Posts
Hope you have another set of wheels. The BEST way to paint AC Schnitzer ALUMINUM wheels is to remove the tires from the wheels along with pulling out the old valve stems. Sand them down until you get a smooth finish. I then would use a primer made for aluminum ( zinc chromate based I think. It was green in color). Then get some Wurth silver wheel paint. You can get the same stuff repackaged from Girotts Garage on line. Take your time & the paint job will look FACTORY and last for years! Have new valve stems installed along with your tires & have them balanced. Enjoy.

· Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that's a lot of shit for a $500 car...

I believe the garage has a balancer...maybe i can use the one they have.

i don't want to pay for that kind of stuff because the exchange rate between euro and dollar sucks...

· Registered
258 Posts
most of it is going to be labour. if you look at Torques wheels he spent a lot of time finishing his sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper. i'd start with say a 400 grit then 800 and finish with about a 1200 then pick up some spray bombs of a good primer then the colour of your choice. you don't have to spend a lot of money on high price specialty primers and paints but what M E suggested will definately last longer. good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.