BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, considering buying my first beamer and becoming part of the community:

There is a US car that I looked at this morning and I have a few questions regarding Salvage Titles (2007 BMW 328i Coupe 16,000 KM). The guy selling it claims that the vehicle was in an accident 2 months after the original owner purchased it brand new. He is not able to produce any records from the shop that fixed it but claims that the damage was minor - apparently only the fender was replaced (according to the shop that inspected the vehicle for him).

I asked why was the car deemed a salvage when it was in a relatively minor "fender bender" and he stated that when a car is brand new and in an accident within the first year, the insurance companies in the united states will replace your car (or pay you out) to eliminate the huge depreciation hit after the collision.

Can anyone confirm this? I did a lot of digging and it looks like if an insurance company takes possession of a car, it automatically becomes a salvage (any one can confirm?).

Now he also claims that the warranty is still valid on the car until 80,00KM or late 2011.

Now a few questions:
1) Is there any way I can track down the shop that repaired this vehicle? Keep in mind that there is no central ICBC in California.

2) If an inspection comes out clean, is it worth taking the chance on such a vehicle assuming the price reflects the title?

3) Doesn't a salvage title automatically void any warranty? Perhaps the title records were never reported or checked by BMW.

4) Any other suggestions/comments to help me make up my mind would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not bad from the look. Does it have service records?
Unfortunately it doesn't come with records - there are very little records to speak of (according to him).

The car was crashed 2 months after purchase - repaired and sat for a long time.

Can anyone confirm US insurance companies behaving like this, writing off a car for "minor fender damage" because it is brand new - perhaps an upgraded policy protecting against depreciation?

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
A 2007 with 11,000 on the clock, nearly 4000k a year (very low) and with no service records etc..!!!, why wasnt it repaired at a BMW dealership ??, personally I wouldnt go near it, something sounds not quite right.

·
teh Canuck....eh
3,613 Posts
is the seller the Prince of Nigeria? :shifty
Apparently, according to this email I got...he's my long lost cousin, and he wants me to take $10,000,000.00 off his hands for the low, low handling fee of only 1500 bucks!...I'm writing the cheque as we speak...sweet! I'm gonna' be rollin' in it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Apparently, according to this email I got...he's my long lost cousin, and he wants me to take $10,000,000.00 off his hands for the low, low handling fee of only 1500 bucks!...I'm writing the cheque as we speak...sweet! I'm gonna' be rollin' in it!
:rofl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts