BMW Werkz banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just wondering how reliable are the E36 M3s?? or the S52 block?? i just can't seem to find anything that i would feel comfortable buying and i'm gonna need a little more of a confidence boost buying a car of this age with this many miles. i'm really into them i'm just nervous about the mechanical issues and the cost of the repairs all that good stuff. can anyone tell me what to look for in buying one and help me out here?? maybe some common problems?? and basically....anything under the category of reliability or risks or value or just anything i need to know that will make me feel better about purchasing something i love so dearly. thnx!!

· Registered
6,064 Posts
this is in the right section I guess... I haven't really had many issues with mine except my water pump pulley exploding(nobody else I know has ever heard of it happening:rofl) if you maintain it it should serve you well!

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks. i just saw another section for M3's so ya but ok then i guess it's cool. well anyways how many miles does your have and how many have you put on?? and did the previous owner mention anything?? anything to look at specifically after 100k??

· Registered
48 Posts
The S52 6 is excellent. Not a true M div. product-more a standard BMW with a M-head, but it's more economical. High miles and no service records could spell $$$$$ down the line. Don't go by any seller stories. You need to see some records. T

· Registered
858 Posts
make sure your rear shock towers aren't damaged... PITA to weld them back together I wouldn't wanna knwo what someone would charge to fix thats. Thermostats I believe are a common problem as well as water pump impellors.. They came plastic from the factory you need to get it replaced with a metal one .. Asfor as the motor ... ICV valve is a common issure but really is a great running motor so far good luck hope that helps a little.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks of course that helps. timecruiser wat if you can't get ahold of any records?? and pring how do u check for the rear shock towers?? and what exactly is that?? aren't those aftermarket only? so how much does it cost for water pump impellors and thermostats?? and what exactly is the ICV valve??

· Registered
6,064 Posts
Icv =idle control Valve I don't remember if brant went over that in 50a

I have 123k on the car now and it runs great.

· Registered
2,355 Posts
Kinda need to specify a bit more information.. maintenance records? Price? Does it have the options and colors you want? I've purchased several cars with between 160k and 220k miles on them, it all depends on how they were taken care of.

Keep in mind things like tilting steering wheel, power seats, etc were options depending on model year, make sure it has the options you want in a car. Plenty of e36's out there if not.

· Registered
4 Posts
ANYTHING high performance is gonna be high maintaince, be it a car, boat, motorcycle etc. M3's are no exception, and if you aren't capable of doing the work yourself you better be rich, even the parts prices border on obscene, called my stealership this morning to price a new water pump, $646.52, bought a water pump last week for my Ford van, $20 at O'Reilleys.

· Registered
6,064 Posts
^ ummm your also compareing LABOR INSTALLED vs Just the part.... Not nearly Fair at all.... How much for the same Pump INSTALLED?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.