BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 89 325i in really nice shape, i have a problem however. The S I board needs new batteries. My problem isnt soldering or taking the intrument cluster apart it getting the bottom portion of the das apart with out breaking it. There are plastic plugs that dont turn and will break if i pull on the dash, can anyone help. Thanks..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
What you mean SI board?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I just replaced the batteries on mine today. To get that panel out you have to remove 2 "nuts" on the backside of that panel. Then it will pop out. I had the same problem as you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Originally posted by chuckie1@Oct 9 2003, 07:46 PM
I just purchased an 89 325i in really nice shape, i have a problem however. The S I board needs new batteries. My problem isnt soldering or taking the intrument cluster apart it getting the bottom portion of the das apart with out breaking it. There are plastic plugs that dont turn and will break if i pull on the dash, can anyone help. Thanks..
it seems odd to me that they used batteries at all-- i wonder if there's a reason to not just wire it into the car's power somehow at the correct voltage...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My problem is i cant get to the back side to remove the nuts, How did u get your hand back there? Could you give me some more details. Thansk Alot man

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Originally posted by chuckie1@Oct 10 2003, 05:19 PM
My problem is i cant get to the back side to remove the nuts, How did u get your hand back there? Could you give me some more details. Thansk Alot man

Chris
Remove the lower dash panel and you'll have access to the nuts. It's just 3 plastic flathead screws holding it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
The tricky thing is once you take that lower dash panel off you have to kinda reach behind it to unscrew the nuts to get that part off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
dan90rs said:
I just replaced the batteries on mine today. To get that panel out you have to remove 2 "nuts" on the backside of that panel. Then it will pop out. I had the same problem as you.
Please can you tell me part 3s of those batteries, because all i can find around my town Erie PA is Radio shack one BUT they are 3.6v each

Does batteries have to be same size like stock one or can they be little bit shorter BUT 3.0v each
 

·
Teh Peetsa Gai
Joined
·
3,478 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are "AA" batteries, but you don't want to get regular alkaline batteries, more like a nicad or something like that.
 

·
77th Gear Member
Joined
·
553 Posts
The batteries on mine were 1.2volt "AA" style Nickle Cadmium (NiCad) batteries but mine may be different than your model (mine is an '86 325e). As for getting access to the whole instrument cluster, there are two large aluminum knurled nuts on the back side of the lower dash panel. If you reach behind the dash, you will find two easily removed large round aluminum nuts that have a ribbed texture that you should EASILY be able to take off with your fingers with NO effort at all. That will expose the rest of the screws.

Hope this helps!

Josh W.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
I have taken dash board 100s times,:D

Only problem is that i CAN'T find same size of those batteries (even shorter or longer) one i have find that are same size have 3.6v each which have 0.6v more than stock one
I was wandering can i get different size but same 3.0v and just solder them
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top