BMW Werkz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you really suppost to run your car cold, I thought you should warm up any car and let preassure build and lube your engine since the iol will thin when it warms up?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i just go...warms up faster that way...besides your temp gauge only measures water temp. for oil temps to reach the right point would take too damn long since when your idling your oil doesnt circulate very fast

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
read your manual , even BMW tells you to not let the car idle, ya its cold but its the best way to maintain the car,

·
Registered
497 Posts
Let the car run idle for a couple minutes. If it is extremely cold (20 and below) then let it run for a couple more. Then drive. You don't want to let it idle until operating temp has been reached, however you want to let it run long enough to circulate oil AND transmission fluid (for automatics) and build a little heat inside the engine.

·
Registered
729 Posts
drive cold.

engine warms up much faster under load. i am not sure that this is that important, these engines are so well made these days it probably will not make a squat of difference...

peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
:driving From what I have read in magazines such as Car and Driver and mechanic's replies, cars are designed to warm up while driving. It's been some time since I read this and I'm not sure what is in the design.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ive heard both sides of the Argument. I think on American cars its a good idea to let them warm up a little since the ones ive owned sound very rough if you just start them and go on 20 degree or less weather. The bimmer so far has not cared either way, and I would imagine by this point these engines are designed not to need to idle, especially with environmental standards the way they are these days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I follow the manual and drive it cold, just don't hammer it until she warms up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts