BMW Werkz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with either drilled, slotted, or drilled/slotted rotors? I've heard mixed reviews on all (not worried about brand here, just the technology itself), to include some people saying they crack, or wear much quicker than regular rotors. Anyone have any information from first hand experience?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i have x drilled on my car...reason being...i warp normal rotors to easily...stopping distance seems to be somewhat improved... :idea2 oh and they look good :bravo

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
oh ya they dont seem to wear out much faster than regular rotors and mine have yet to crack

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
We did change the OEM rotors on our project car into air vented drilled rotors made by CAR.

No problems in braking, distance reduced, and even emergency braking is not harming the discs (so far)

And it looks better.

CAR air vented disc on a 4 lug E30 front:

Attachments

·
Retired administrator
5,996 Posts
This guy is sooo right, except for one little thing. Bigger brakes don't necessarily mean more friction. Formula 1 cars use very small brakes (they use small wheels with big tires so there's no place to put big brakes) but they use very abrasive brake pads, so the added abrasiveness, while extremely bad for the rotors (new ones ever track outing) it makes up for the reduced friction surface.

·
Registered
22 Posts
triggrhaapi,

The braking surface is the same on the vented discs as on the OEM once.

We din't perfom test before/after the change - so the reduced braking distance
may have been in our minds.

But, its like driving after a oil change, the car is better - isn't it :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Nikis Place@Aug 8 2003, 01:37 PM
The braking surface is the same on the vented discs as on the OEM once.
Well, you have to think about how you lost surface area with all the holes and groves in the rotor...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fruity - what brand are you running? Do you notice less brake dust? Is that your hand on my lap? Are you eating pads quicker? What's the square root of 4? How much did they run you (total, front and back)?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
surface area doesnt mean squat if your brakes are "floating", the purpose for vented brakes is to release the gases and whatnot that give your brakes the "floaty" feeling. by accomplishing this you create a better braking surface and a more responsive brake.
i personally think that slotted are better they dont have a tendency to crack and brake with high temperature braking for long periods of time, from what ive read about them is that a lot of cross drilled companies drill the holes after the brake rotors are made making the actual rotor weaker than it was suppose to be, now im hearing that they have found ways to fix this problem,
i dunno if any of you guys from bmwplanet remember that rash of broken and cracked cross drilled rotors a few years ago?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Allow me to add following text to this discussion:

Taken from CAR catalogue, section "The Safety"

The innovation and the principal puculiarity of HIGH Performance brake discs, produced and distributed by CAR is the special machining of braking surfaces with holes alternated to transversal carvings.
This has been studied and exclusively tested in order to obtain greater efficiency of the braking system, to allow a quicker cooling and to elimate the slags and the gas penetrated by the friction of the brake pads. Also the fading process is largely reduced.
The incremented friction coefficient brake disc-brake pad assures safer braking for a longer time. The new line of high performance brake discs guarantees higher saftey in both every day and sproting driving conditions.

Price for a set ( 4 wheels) E36 coupe around 300-350 dollars shipping included.

Brake section will be updated in the catalogue by monday.

·
Registered
878 Posts
hey green dragon....are those 17" wheels...or 16"?? i really like them and was looking in the bmw catalog...thinking about buying them. they look sharp. just trying to figure out what they may look like on my ride.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by morph@Aug 9 2003, 02:26 PM
hey green dragon....are those 17" wheels...or 16"?? i really like them and was looking in the bmw catalog...thinking about buying them. they look sharp. just trying to figure out what they may look like on my ride.
They are 16. OE rims for the 98 328is. I too dig them quite a bit, to the point where I don't want to replace them, even for a set of 17s.

Thanks for all the info guys. It helps to know what's what when figuring the needed budget for parts so as not to get screwed.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
i have EBC grooved discs on the front, but they arnt drilled all the way through....
....very impressed, stopping distanced is reduced, and they dont over heat and give brake fade so quick.

some one told me that some of the disks that are drilled all the way through are prone to cracking..... probably not true!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Aug 8 2003, 02:08 PM
Fruity - what brand are you running? Do you notice less brake dust? Is that your hand on my lap? Are you eating pads quicker? What's the square root of 4? How much did they run you (total, front and back)?
i am running zimmerman rotors...and i notice about the same amount of dust as before because i am still running genuine pads. my pads dont seem to be wearing out much faster than before and total for rotors front and back wasnt much more than genuine rotors...but you also have to keep in mind i work in a parts store so my prices are really cheap...but they ran me about 40 bucks per rotor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts