BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through some old posts similar to this one......you guys said that 18inchers on a 325iS would mean that i'd have to raise it.
Is that true?
Theres this kid at my school who put 18's on his 325i and its not raised at all...i think its lowered 2inches
THANKS!
oh, and any rim sugestions would be appreciated
gotta post this -

Attachments

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
18s dont require raising, they require rolling.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
rolling is litterally what it sounds like. The lip on the fender has to be rolled out to allow for clearance when turning the wheel.

·
Registered
371 Posts
rolling?....never heard of that myself....how much does that cost?...would i have to change my fenders?.....i was just about to buy gunmetal 18's today but it was out of stock

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by trinidon2k@Jan 7 2004, 08:06 PM
rolling?....never heard of that myself....how much does that cost?...would i have to change my fenders?.....i was just about to buy gunmetal 18's today but it was out of stock
no u dont change fenders...its lik ur fender is strecthed inside of the wheel well.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
also the long time affects of rolling is rustin if not repainted well

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by El Presidente@Jan 7 2004, 07:07 PM
18s dont require raising, they require rolling.
well not in all cases. i have seen many 325i's with 18's and the fenders were not rolled.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CCONNFUSSSSSEDDDD!!!!!1 :banghead lol
ok, in a couple simple sentances - what would i need to do to put 18's on a 325is and how much would it cost. :wrench

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
18s that are 7.5" will fit without rolling. 18s that are 8" will most likely rub, unless a very very very low profile tire is run. Also, rolling shouldn't require repainting to prevent rust if done correctly. To roll the fender lip, you can take it to a local body shop and they can do it, or you can DIY with a hairdryer, towel, and wooden baseball bat.

If you do it at home, you want to heat the metal with the hairdryer. it makes the metal easier to bend and reduces risk of cracking the paint. After metal is hot, roll the lip of the bat inside the lip of the fender, gently applying outward pressure. I suggest wrapping it in a towel to prevent scratches.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
would u have to roll back the skirts also? since its on the opposite side and a wheel is round?
do u think u could post a pic of a car and point to the parts that need rolling? thanx

·
Registered
50 Posts
17x8s 225/45 in front
17X9s 245/40 in the rear

thats the best way to go . . . my .02

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the rear fenders only need to be rolled in extreme cases. 9s would most likely require it. The area that needs to be rolled out is the entire lip.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Those wont fit. The e36 has a 5x120 mm bolt pattern; the highest there was 5x114.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
well, those are a perfect fit. they look decent, but are replicas. Dont hit any curbs and you should be ok with them. Since they are 8.5, you would need to roll the front, and possibly the rear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do mechanics know what "rolling" is?? My friend's dad is a mechanic and he could probly show me
Mr President.....i think i need a picture of what parts to "roll"

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
the lip, or edge of the wheel well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts