BMW Werkz banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reverse lights on my bmw 320i auto e30 are playing up. There seems to be a loose connection. When the car is in the reverse position and i push the gear lever forward slightly the reverse lights come on and when i push the gear lever back slightly they turn of. So if you just simply put the car in reverse sometimes the reverse lights are on sometimes they arnt. Any ideas?

· Registered
125 Posts
Some resources to get you started

Visit realoem.com and enter the last seven of your VIN. That will help you with part numbers and diagrams. There is a gearshift section.

For wiring, visit Free Phone System Manuals Voice Communications 800 593-6000

and download the appropriate 3-series electrical troubleshooting manual for your car's model year. That will help with the wiring and component locations.

If this site's search comes up a bit empty, here's a link to another forum thread about reverse switch issues:

my reverse lights quit...

Welcome aboard and adios for now,

RM

· Festivus yes, bagels no..
2,983 Posts
My old e30 had a similar problem. The switch is a PAIN to get to...I would recommend trying some other things first.

The thing that FIXED it for me was the connector under the shift boot. The wire for the reverse lights goes through that rubber shift boot (under the leather boot) and down into the tranny. Right before it goes through the shift boot there's a connector...I would guess this connector is loose (or maybe there is a short somewhere close to here) that may be why when you have the shifter in certain positions that they work.

I just disconnected it and hooked it back up. They've worked perfectly ever since.

Give that a whirl and see if it helps...if nothing else, it'll only take you 10 minutes and it's one less thing to troubleshoot.

· Registered
125 Posts
According to the Bentley repair manual, you don't have to. However, to get you through the entire procedure, invest some money in a Bentley 3-series E30 manual (ISBN 0-8376-0325-0).

· Registered
125 Posts
Second repair resource (factory repair manual)

This used to be hosted at ee1394.com, but that site has been out of commission for some time. Finding it can be a bit of a challenge as it's a 110MB download.

It's a pdf file, bmw-e30-repair-manual-v7. Section 25 has the repair procedure for the gear shift mechanism, and unlike the Bentley manual I cited earlier, they want you to remove the center console.

Adios for now,

RM

Attachments

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for your help. On closer inspection realised when in park the shift rod didnt slot into the park gap on the shift gate. Adjusted the gear shift rod and lever so the actual gearshift was forward more. Now when in reverse my gearshift sits forward enough to make contact with the reverse light switch. So it was nothing to do with the switch just the position of the shift rod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.