BMW Werkz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of you have mentioned rev limiters. Do the E36's have a rev limiter? In other words, if I get too agressive off the line can I push the revs past red-line and ruin my engine...or will the rev limiter kick in and not allow me to do that? :driving

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I've done this way too many times when playing around in manual mode.
It doesn’t SHUT DOWN the engine like you would think that phrase means, it just kills the fuel input (or whatever it does) until rpm is in acceptable bounds and then resumes normal operation. When the limiter is doing its job, you should notice it right away. It gives you quite an uneasy feeling, sort of similar to what traction control feels like when it kicks in, but a little more violent.

<crazy>(Well, it makes me feel uneasy because my car is telling me “Hey I don’t like that, it hurts, stop it,” and we all know we dont want to hurt our own baby...)</crazy>

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by bitcore@Feb 4 2004, 08:24 PM
I've done this way too many times when playing around in manual mode.
It doesn’t SHUT DOWN the engine like you would think that phrase means, it just kills the fuel input (or whatever it does) until rpm is in acceptable bounds and then resumes normal operation. When the limiter is doing its job, you should notice it right away. It gives you quite an uneasy feeling, sort of similar to what traction control feels like when it kicks in, but a little more violent.

<crazy>(Well, it makes me feel uneasy because my car is telling me “Hey I don’t like that, it hurts, stop it,” and we all know we dont want to hurt our own baby...)</crazy>
your right it does cut off fuel. .. man i need sleep :blink:

good catch bitcore

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine shuts down @ 6200 rpms

·
Registered
698 Posts
You shouldn't be going to the redline anyway, the optimal horsepower for the e36 is 5900 and you don't redline till 6500.

·
Registered
95 Posts
:thumbs I agree. you shouldnt push the rpm to the limit if you want to have your car for a long time. 5500 should be fun enuff :cheers

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Originally posted by Andrewsd1985@Feb 5 2004, 01:59 PM
You shouldn't be going to the redline anyway, the optimal horsepower for the e36 is 5900 and you don't redline till 6500.
i thought optimal was 4900... at least i've been seeing that around here.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Originally posted by schnitz@Feb 6 2004, 03:59 PM
:thumbs I agree. you shouldnt push the rpm to the limit if you want to have your car for a long time. 5500 should be fun enuff :cheers
uh yah... I accidentally did this a few hours ago messing around for about a second and a half, and an hour later my check engine light is on. I was driving it very hard though. Great! No CPO and I gotta pay for it up front :banghead :cry

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Originally posted by schnitz@Feb 7 2004, 09:02 AM
:driving have to pay for almost every little fun, hehehe. :rock :rock :rock
yah but im unemployed and broke! BAD!
That and it was ONE night of fun. Also, they FIXED it 2 weeks ago! ugh!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts