BMW Werkz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 325ic and the rear left shock piston snapped off just above the shock tube. Kids car and I am going to replace the shock, I have the Bentley and Haynes manuals and both indicate that I need to unscrew the nuts on left and right side of shock mount (not the center nut). What is unique about this arrangement, why can't I simply unscrew the center nut and drop the shock piston out? If I do have to remove the support bracket nuts, when does the center nut come off and go on again?

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
1990 325ic and the rear left shock piston snapped off just above the shock tube. Kids car and I am going to replace the shock, I have the Bentley and Haynes manuals and both indicate that I need to unscrew the nuts on left and right side of shock mount (not the center nut). What is unique about this arrangement, why can't I simply unscrew the center nut and drop the shock piston out? If I do have to remove the support bracket nuts, when does the center nut come off and go on again?
They recommend you replace the shock mounts too, inspect them when have them out, also the shock piston will free spin........while they are in the car.

e30tech.com

jb :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's alot easier to remove the whole setup because like Johnny said " the Shock Piston will free spin" and to get an impact wrench in there is not only a job, it's an adventure. When I had my E30 and had to do any work with the rear suspension, that was one of the first things I loosened. It's also recommended that you check both sides and if you're replacing one, go ahead and replace both shocks and supports.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replacing a rear shock

Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement, job is done. Once I took off the two support nuts and stuff fell in my face I was home (almost) the shock rod had fractured right at the base of the upper support bracket,so I still had to get the center nut off if I wished to use the old top support bracket. Put the base piece of the strut, ind a vise and the nut came right off, after that is was almost easy, all went well until I put center nut on and tried to tighten, shock body rotated, so, I had daughter tighten nut while I held the shock body. Again thanks for the support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.