BMW Werkz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any good steps to remove small rust spots? I was going to sand it and then use a touch up pen, but i want to look at my options before i do this.

·
Registered
487 Posts
wet sand it. dont just sand it with dry paper. use fine grit to remove the rust then ultra fine to smooth it out. then use a primer then the touch up paint. sand again with ultra fine and you should be golden.

Im no body shop guy, but Ive heard this is a good practice.

Best of luck.

S

·
0 Posts
normal sand paper is the worst, it is not a unified grit, (the grit is the AVERAGE size of the particles, if your going to wet sand, get Meguiars Uni-Grit sand paper, and then buff it out with a bugger/polisher (machine)

·
Registered
878 Posts
you can get touch up paint at your dealership. it does a great job of making little spots disappear.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW@Jul 4 2003, 10:10 AM
normal sand paper is the worst, it is not a unified grit, (the grit is the AVERAGE size of the particles, if your going to wet sand, get Meguiars Uni-Grit sand paper, and then buff it out with a bugger/polisher (machine)
Retard. It's sand paper, it's job is to sand stuff down. Why in the Heck would it matter if the sand paper wasn't unified. Freaking cum bubble.

Anyway - make sure it's only rust and not the begining of rot. Definitely use some primer after sanding on the rust and before painting. There are also products out there that stop rust for getting worse (essentially they reverse the rust process to a certain degree).

May the force be with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts