BMW Werkz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be ordering the aluminum-look gauge faces for my bimmer. I would like to have the red needles to enhance visibility on the gauges. Is it possible to order the m3 red needles separately instead of getting the whole instrument cluster? I am trying to avoid painting them, but if it is not possible, then I will need to paint them.

If it is possible to order the needles, where do I order them. If it is not possible, what kind of paint should I use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
ya i was thinking of doing the same thing but i dont know how it works

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by woobiee@May 13 2003, 09:36 PM
ppl paint their needles red...dont ask me how and i wanna know too
you have to take out your guage cluster and then u just paint then wit red nail polish

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
no i was thinking you could get the red needles from the ///m cars instrument clusters

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Originally posted by e30_325_s52+May 14 2003, 01:27 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (e30_325_s52 @ May 14 2003, 01:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--woobiee@May 13 2003, 09:36 PM
you have to take out your guage cluster and then u just paint then wit red nail polish [/b][/quote]
If anything you should use model paint (the Testers stuff). I'm not sure if you can get just the needles. Is there any particular reason you don't want to paint?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i dont wanna paint because it wont look right

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I've never seen painted needles before so I'm not sure how it would look. Hmmm .... I'm out of ideas then.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
that too

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
removing the gague cluster is a royal pain in the ass. But just get some paint that you paint the blinkers with, the red paint, spray it in a cup and lightly go over it with a small brush. Let me see those aluminum gagues though i never seen dem.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by GreenDragon+May 14 2003, 12:54 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GreenDragon @ May 14 2003, 12:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2003, 01:27 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--woobiee
@May 13 2003, 09:36 PM

you have to take out your guage cluster and then u just paint then wit red nail polish
If anything you should use model paint (the Testers stuff). I'm not sure if you can get just the needles. Is there any particular reason you don't want to paint? [/b][/quote]
i tend to get a little sloppy with paint and i didn't want to have the needles look like they're painted. i just got a response from the dealer and they said that the needles are not available without purchasing the whole instrument cluster. i have a friend of mine with the aluminum gauges and he painted the needles himself. maybe i can get him to paint mine or get any tips from him.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW@May 14 2003, 03:58 AM
how do you even go about removing your gauge clusteR?
hmmmm, sound like a diy topic coming soon. there is a website that shows how you go about removing your cluster unit. i will have to find that and get Furious to post in the diy section.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
it's probably illegal to take out the gauge cluster, since if you do that, maybe you can take off the plastic panel and turn back the odometer.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i think so...mayb not some of the older e30s

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
neg... not digital

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by donutchow@May 15 2003, 03:07 AM
it's probably illegal to take out the gauge cluster, since if you do that, maybe you can take off the plastic panel and turn back the odometer.
how could it be illegal? all i wanted to do was change the color of the faces and in order to do that, you have to remove the cluster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts