BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

my stock muffler is the original and i ebleive its dead. The left outlet inside is rusted and deep inside the muffler, you can see peices of metal that have been missing. Is there any way i can safely make this thing quieter without causing any harm to the engine.. like maybe plug up one side? Just until i can get enough money for a new one.. If all it would do is hamper performance, i dont mind. Any low end acceleration causes it to be so loud, you can hear it echo through the cab and its hard to even talk to people. :blink:

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Try some metal tape.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Spork, I wouldn't recommend plugging it up. I would just try to stick it out until you can afford replacement.

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
just wait and get a new one... I think I need a new front end of the exhaust. it makes my legs vibrate plus kills the ears when I push it real hard

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
front exhaust? hmmmm...

im not familiar with the exhaust on these cars, how can i see what it is.. sometiems it sounds like its coming from the front and fading to the back, then after like 3k rpm , its pretty silent... its also quiet with no load.

how can i tell if its the fornt or back or botH? thanks....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one more question... do you think that the $35 mufflers on ebay would be quieter? thanks !

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
sorry for the confussion.... I meant the front end of the exhaust. like the pipes under the drivers seat or around there.

dont go for the cheap stuff... I mean bmw mufflers are big, heavy and are made to be quiet for 10-12 yrs at least. you might buy that and it's going to get loud after a few months and then you are back where you were

ps. my dad works at this shop... and it took like 3 of them to lift up a muffler for a 7 series. i'm sure this one also weighs a lot, and I am not sure of the shipping charges

·
Premium Member
9,482 Posts
oo ur talkign about that remus wannabe muffler

NO, it would probably become LOUDER

my xhaust is very loud stock but i dont see anythign broken

the ebay one PROBABLY WOTN FIT, i saw it too, but if u look at an e34 muffler, it is awkwardly shaped and the remus one i beleiev was a universla in which teh seller just wrote e34 e36

1 - 8 of 8 Posts