BMW Werkz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I'm not asking because I want to tint my windows myself. This may even apply to all tint, I'm not sure. Anyway, my question is this: Is there a particular side to the film that is specifically supposed to face outwards (I.E. the side that touches the window, in the same manner that tape has one sticky, and one non-sticky side) or is the film the same on both sides?

I have an idea for something I want to try, but it won't work if there is a specific 'outside' side. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Green Dragon,
I work for an automotive parts wholesaler and I can tell that every line we carry has a specific side that has the adhesive. I have heard however, that there are some brands out there that do not have any adhesive built in so, both sides are identical and reversible. You've peaked my curiosity now, what's your idea?
bushins

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bushins for the info. I may have to check out the tints meself and see what the directions say ...

The big secret - considering using tint to black out my lights instead of paint. That way I get more of a uniform color. It's just a theory now, and I'm not sure how well/if it would work but it sure is worth a try, ya know?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, since we're on the subject or tinting, can I ask a small question too? Thanks!

The tint on my windows (especially the passenger side window) is craptacularly crappy. I think the previous owner had it installed and then rolled down the window 12 seconds after he drove out of the shop, thus creating a ripple effect in the sheet. It looks crappy. Did I say that? Anyways, is there a quick and easy way of removing the whole tint sheet from the window?

And GD, if I were you, I'd get a used light from a wrecker and try it out. It just might work.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the 'best' or 'only' way to remove tint is with an S.O.S type pad and rub the f'er off. But I may be wrong.

I actually have a light from my Acura that I can test on, but I wanted to perform a 'feasibility study' before I went out and spent the money on the tint.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I have "redded" out my tails rather than blacking them out. Use a transparent candy color and just make even sweeps and the paint will even itself out. Ive got pics somehwere, ill see if i can find them. if not, i ordred a new camera and i should be getting it sometime today or next week.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
i had some close ups taken once, but I must have deleted them. You can see they're red in this, but not as clear. Ill take some close ups when i get my new camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've seen the all red tails like that. My car is black, however, and my overall plan is to black the whole thing out (rims, lights, tint). I've smoked lights before, but I find it to be a real pain (for a semi-perfectionists) to get a uniform tint on the lights.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
what kind of paint were you using? Mine evened out no problem.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by El Presidente@Aug 8 2003, 07:02 PM
what kind of paint were you using? Mine evened out no problem.
It was Testers (Testors?) model tint paint. Good stuff, worked well, but didn't give me the results I was looking fro. Granted I could just as easily use black paint, but I'd be facing the same pit falls. Plus, with the tint, if I wanted to remove it for any reason it would be easier (i figure) than removing paint or buying new lights.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
honestly pay the extra money and get it done right, 90% of the do it yourself kits out there fade to purple in a couple of years or bubble.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I am getting my windows tinted soon, should I get black or mirror tint??? I want to do sorta what GD wants to do, black everything :p but i saw a black car yesterday with mirrored tint and i thought it looked awesome. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
just spray paint the windows black. but DON'T do the inside. that would just be stupid :D

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Furious@Aug 8 2003, 07:34 PM
honestly pay the extra money and get it done right, 90% of the do it yourself kits out there fade to purple in a couple of years or bubble.
For windows I agree. But I'm talking about the lights. The windows I'm getting done by pro's.

Asio - Isn't mirrored tint illegal?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon+Aug 8 2003, 05:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GreenDragon @ Aug 8 2003, 05:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Furious@Aug 8 2003, 07:34 PM
For windows I agree. But I'm talking about the lights. The windows I'm getting done by pro's.

Asio - Isn't mirrored tint illegal? [/b][/quote]
i know its legal here, its seems popular on the silver toyota celicas here. looks ok, but would look rice on a bmw

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Originally posted by Asio@Aug 8 2003, 04:30 PM
I am getting my windows tinted soon, should I get black or mirror tint??? I want to do sorta what GD wants to do, black everything :p but i saw a black car yesterday with mirrored tint and i thought it looked awesome. What do you guys think?
i think cam540's 97 m3 (he is the guy with the silver m3 right? lol) has "limo" tint...it looks really cool B) B) he said it was illegal

and yeah, those do it yourself kits are horrble for windows...i have seen many a car in baltimore (and iowa also for that matter) with purple back windows with huge bubbles.....eww....

i wouldn't want to know how that tint would hold up with the light bulb heat....but i guess it could be done if you make sure it is sealed really nicely

·
Registered
197 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Aug 8 2003, 02:36 PM
I think the 'best' or 'only' way to remove tint is with an S.O.S type pad and rub the f'er off. But I may be wrong.
Thank GD. That sounds like a big job, especially for the back window, which has those fragile defrost threadamajigs.

I'm also guessing an S.O.S. would scratch the glass...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw+Aug 18 2003, 05:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bob Loblaw @ Aug 18 2003, 05:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GreenDragon@Aug 8 2003, 02:36 PM
Thank GD. That sounds like a big job, especially for the back window, which has those fragile defrost threadamajigs.

I'm also guessing an S.O.S. would scratch the glass... [/b][/quote]
It probably would somewhat scratch the glass. However, before I bought my car they used something like that (I stil have metal fibers in the car that I can't get out) and the glass is ok. As for the drfroster lines, JCWhitney sells a kit that you can use to put them back on. So far it seems mine are okay so I haven't gone out to get it, but I have to guess that it works ok.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
another option would be a razor blade. like the kind used in box cutters that has a flat edge. you can then apply alcohol to get rid of the sticky adhesive mess afterwards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts