BMW Werkz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 1998 E36 328i about 3 months ago, and it has the premium sound package(also known as the Harmon Kardon system). Well recently, my front speakers have been giving me a screetchy noise when vocals or high treble play. I usually play any tech music, so of couse I want clarity in my music, but now this is happening and I have to know what to do....1. get rid of the speakers and get new ones(aka they are blown)...OR 2. replace the capacitors as I have heard for the regular nokia system...OR 3. do i have to just tighten a few bolts...OR 4. get a damn new head unit?

I hope I'm not the only unfortunate sucker to have this happen, so if I'm not and anyone knows what to do, please help a fellow BMW owner out

Thanks for your time fellows- Joel :guns
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
Originally posted by E36Propeller@Jul 29 2003, 04:49 PM
Well recently, my front speakers have been giving me a screetchy noise when vocals or high treble play
That happened to me too....It was weird because it was like that for about a week then it just quit doing that ....maybe it will stop :dunno good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,819 Posts
I have a solution, Do this at your own risk. You take either a rubber mallet or a 25lb. sledge, your choice (25lb. sledge recommended) you take a big back swing and aim straight for..........hmmm thats not the best idea, I don't know. :dunno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
is it an in-dash cd-player? if it a trunk FM modulated one you can get weirdness. also, the comment about the wire's gone awry could be true too. but if a wire is not connected properly, or is touching something it shouldn't, i don't know why you would see a response only in the high-end. frequently wire crosses or improper grounded etc result in what is call a 60 cycle hum. that 60 cycle hum is a base noise not isolated to just the high end. try to find out if the screaching is isolated to a single speaker, or if it is systemic. that might help isolate your problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
The upper freq. tend to go as do the lower when I speaker gets tired. If you can remove your door panel and remove the speakers and take a look they might be dry rotted. I know my tweeter and 4" were both bad in my M3. The 5 1/4 was still fin down in the kick panel, which is usually the case because it isn't exposed to the elements the others are in the doors.
I replaced mine but also added a aftermarket in dash CD player, 4 channel amp and JL Audio's 8" stealth boxes. I am a manager at a car audio shop where I live so I have to have good audio.
MB Quart makes a nice direct replacement and JL makes one that requires a little work.
Good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,663 Posts
Originally posted by Black E36 M3@Aug 1 2003, 06:29 AM
The upper freq. tend to go as do the lower when I speaker gets tired. If you can remove your door panel and remove the speakers and take a look they might be dry rotted. I know my tweeter and 4" were both bad in my M3. The 5 1/4 was still fin down in the kick panel, which is usually the case because it isn't exposed to the elements the others are in the doors.
I replaced mine but also added a aftermarket in dash CD player, 4 channel amp and JL Audio's 8" stealth boxes. I am a manager at a car audio shop where I live so I have to have good audio.
MB Quart makes a nice direct replacement and JL makes one that requires a little work.
Good luck...
yeah what he is saying is probably true. you will get nice sound with the MBQuarts. JL has good loudness as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
My two pennies: Speakers are gone, replace with nice aftermarket. I have to agree with the crowd... MBQuart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Originally posted by Asio@Jul 29 2003, 06:18 PM
I have a solution, Do this at your own risk. You take either a rubber mallet or a 25lb. sledge, your choice (25lb. sledge recommended) you take a big back swing and aim straight for..........hmmm thats not the best idea, I don't know. :dunno
that's the stanley murdoch principle: any job can be accomplished with the correct sized hammer.

also, in my 328is from '98...is that a HK speaker system and did alpine build the bmw stereo? someone put a crappy sony fm modulated 10 disc...i want to relpace it. should i go alpine head/in-dash or should i do the factory alpine 6 disc. the number of discs etc doesn't bother me. i would rather have quality. <_<
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top