BMW Werkz banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello has anyone done a push button start install on their E34, I have a 1993 525i Touring, if so any help with parts and install would be great. thanks xavier65

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey Torque thanks for the replay, what about parts, and is the color wiring the same on the ignition switch, between E36 and E34, what do you think would be a good location for button. xavier65

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
nearly everyone i have ever seen do this install has replaced the cigarrette lighter with the push button. Just seems to be a logical location.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my C- lighter is on of those pull out ones not cool ones like the E36 let me take it apart and see how it looks thanks

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
just pull the cassette (the long tube that makes the lighter housing) out of the console, and pop the button in in it's place. Should snap right in or attatch with a retainer ring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks dude i didn't want to use the C- lighter because of my cell phone charger i have another C-lighter in the rear, I'm looking a Z8 button I'll go my local BMW dealer today. Xavier65

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
well in that respect you could always mount the button on a bracket, perhaps in a center console.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey that was my next choice , i had to special order the Z8 button, wiring. and the housing. thanks agian

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
or you could go all stealth and shite lol mount it in the ashtray, so that you can close the cover and no one would know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello i hooked up the wiring , i already had a harness and a relay and an button and when i pushed the button the car started , when i pushed the button again the car did not cut off , i hit it once more and heard THAT STARTER NOISE !! what did I do wrong what is a good ground the body, or another brown ground wire, i grounded mine to aluminum on the shifter. thanks xavier65

·
Registered
5 Posts
The body is the best ground. Just make sure the connection is good. Scrape off the paint if you need to, to get the best connection. Brown wire is also a good choice, but I would consider what else is connected to it, and the distance from your gadget (button?) and the point where that brown wire connects with the body of your car. Shorter is better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The body is the best ground. Just make sure the connection is good. Scrape off the paint if you need to, to get the best connection. Brown wire is also a good choice, but I would consider what else is connected to it, and the distance from your gadget (button?) and the point where that brown wire connects with the body of your car. Shorter is better.
thanks man for imfo, i have 1993 E34 525, would you wire it up any different I'm still waiting on my Z8 button, i used this one to see if i done right

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why not installing an additional on/off button? You can place is somewhere under the dash, and you could use it to 'kill' the car. And as an extra safety feature. :)

I didn't use the Z button. I used a regular push button, and a couple of on/off switches. But, my setup eliminates the key completely. Check it out:

BMW E36 Start Button and Kill Switch DIY

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thought about the ashtray idea but in the end I went for the cigarette lighter option as I don't smoke. I put a simple switch for the Ignition switch in the switch panel directly next to the new starter button and simply ran a bridging wire to make the starter button live when the ig switch was activated. Been like it for 2 years and all is well.
I only did it cos my ignition barrel jammed. Still need the the key in the barrel for the immobiliser and you never know the barrel might un-jam one day and that would be scary at full chat if the key wasn't in :eek:

The only problem was that I then had nowhere to plug my sat nav in so I had to hard wire it and that opened up a whole new can of worms, but thats another story :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Z8 Push Button Start Parts Update

Anyone still looking to do this mod, i have some parts info, i was looking for a socket and contacts for the switch and i found them. universal socket - 61-13-8-380-696 and bushing contact- 61-13-0-005-197 and the Z8 button- 61-31-8-377-343 it fits OEM perfect and that was what i wanted,:rule:rule:rule hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts