BMW Werkz banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi
I just did $5,400 worth of work on my 840ci yet the car still goes into Trans. fail safe mode "limp mode" a couple times a day when I slow down...has anyone had that problem? is it the tranny?Even the tech is having a problem with this 1.....its not the fluid or sensor or connection

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
It may be your VCB (valve control body) needs a service as the marble tends to get stuck in the channel:

My visit at ZF Dortmund for Gearbox maintenance.(very, very long!) HUGH RESULT!!

When you changed the fluid a filter what procedure did you use as it has to be done a certain way,if the fluid is low when in 'N' and the engine running this will also cause the problem and using the incorrect fluid will also it has to be Dextron III.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info Marti5...I also forgot to mention that the tranny now sometimes at a light does not engage when I hit the gas initially, and if I hit gas too hard, car goes into fail safe mode but if I press gas lightly then tranny engages....Does not do it all the time though....Would you know if the ABS brakes have something to do with this?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
1997... the Q is when was the tranny last serviced? i.e. oil and filter changed, or the tranny flushed?

If not in a long while... it's a good time to do it now.

Although, the symptoms you describe... they point to low level of tranny fluid or the fluid itself may have "burnt out" over time and lost its vicosity.

Loss of viscosity equals loss of friction in the internal clutch plates of the auto-tranny. So when u push the gas hard, the sensors will detect the imbalance in engine speed and tranny speed, and wheel speed - thus, the fail-safe or limp home mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.