BMW Werkz banner

problem found

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  brettski 
#1 ·
as i have been posting my car has been lazy, lacking performance, and been all around slow (98' 323is) well today finally found out is was the "cats "
so does anyone know where i can get a replacement
or a cheap performance exhaust system under $500:eek:

#5 ·
Take it to an exhaust shop, have them cut it off and weld in a piece of pipe instead or have them dump it out and put it back if you want it to look like it's still there. If there's no emissions testing, you don't need it really.

To answer the question from the PM, the part number is not the same, though I can't see why it wouldn't work.

#9 ·
most exhaust shops have lengths, i put one in an old car, they sometimes keep remnants from past installations, should have one to fit. yes you will probably obligated to pay for the piece, might charge you ten bucks.

#11 ·
As Torque pointed out, unbolt the old CATS, get a Long screwdriver and a hammer and just break up the Catalytic comb within the body of the CAT. Hey presto, not more obstruction, and totally transperant to the casual observer. Dirt cheap too if the bolts aren't seized and you can get under your car ok.

#12 ·
brettski has another point, if you're the least bit DIY-minded, you can hollow out he cats and be on your way. And i understand about the cats at the shops, i used to sell 'hi-flows" to people all the time, easy 300-400 bucks.

#14 ·
What the other guys are saying is right, but you may find it difficult to find a shop, even though your state has no emissions testing, that will gut the cat or replace it with straight pipe. In many cases this is illegal to do for any shop and they won't take the chance. What I am saying is, if you don't want to replace the cat you might have to do the gutting or replacing of the cat with a pipe yourself.
Around here, Virginia, you can't even buy a cat from a junk yard. I don't know for sure that it's illegal for them to resell the cats, but I know they won't do it.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.