BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm noticing when i'm in 1st gear making turns it's very difficult to do. My car sounds like a moose in heat. Very sluggish and very annoying. First thought that popped into my mind was low power steering fluid. I checked, and indeed it is kind of low. Here's my question: (and please pardon my ignorance in this area) Is it alright to just top the power steering fluid off or do i need to do a flush?
I'm also a little concerned that one of the hoses might be leaky. Is there a technical way to check for a leaky power steering hose or just get under there and have a look-see?

Thanks for your time and help guys.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
Down to basics Im afraid get under and check for leaks, change the pipe, topping off the fluid is fine, I hope you have caught it in time.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i checked it out yesterday. it appears there is a leak. i saw power steering fluid on the hose and some other parts. so, i guess it's time to replace some stuff. :(

thanks

·
Millions of them.
14,879 Posts
So, I'm noticing when i'm in 1st gear making turns it's very difficult to do. My car sounds like a moose in heat. Very sluggish and very annoying. First thought that popped into my mind was low power steering fluid. I checked, and indeed it is kind of low. Here's my question: (and please pardon my ignorance in this area) Is it alright to just top the power steering fluid off or do i need to do a flush?
I'm also a little concerned that one of the hoses might be leaky. Is there a technical way to check for a leaky power steering hose or just get under there and have a look-see?

Thanks for your time and help guys.
1. Fine to top it off. Just make sure you put in whatever the reservoir cap says: if it says ATF, put ATF; if it says Pentosin something or other, put Pentosin in ... do not put "power steering fluid" in, use what it tells you (well unless it tells you to put plain old PS in, which I don't think any BMW uses).

2. They all have leaky hoses.

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man, that info will definitely help.

Dumb question (i think)...i just checked the cap on my power steering reservoir and it just says "FZ". What should that mean to me??
It's a '94 325i, i think i recall finding out that i need to use dexron III atf if im not mistaken. Sound about right?

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
Thanks man, that info will definitely help.

Dumb question (i think)...i just checked the cap on my power steering reservoir and it just says "FZ". What should that mean to me??
It's a '94 325i, i think i recall finding out that i need to use dexron III atf if im not mistaken. Sound about right?
Yes......ATF, the link has the info.......

2 quarts Dextron III / Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

jb :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts