BMW Werkz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone upgraded theri computer chip? what are the advantages and distadvantages? what brands are good...i also heard that they increase fuel efficency...is that true? i always thought that it would cause more fuel consumption.

TIA

_noob_

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fuel consumption always goes up because chips always take off governors and disable/heighten rev limiters.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by 0p5@Dec 30 2003, 02:36 AM
Fuel consumption always goes up because chips always take off governors and disable/heighten rev limiters.
this is actually a false statement regarding the fuel consumption. the chip actually is suppose to improve mileage all the chip is doing is improving the air/fuel mixture and utilizes and burns the premium gas much more efficiently (you MUST use once installing. 91 octane or greater)

taking the govern off is correct as is the rev limiter is now off.
perormance is noticeable but not kick in the pants noticeable. honestly IMO is the best first mod you can do to your car. and out of all the bolt on mods its the best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Furious it depends what kind of a chip you are getting. Yeah some chips do improve milage, but those aren't the kinds that give you better performance. Better performance from just a chip is going to use more fuel/air in each combustion, therefore using more fuel. And as I said before, almost all performance chips either heighten or competely destroy the rev limiter.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
a chip will increase fuel efficiency and sometimes increase consuption. Efficiency is how well the fuel is used in relation to how much power is produced, not mpg. A chip optomizes the amount of fuel/air mixture to have the highest performance, which can sometimes use more fuel, but not always. In sum, a chip can use more fuel, but it can also use less.

As for brands, Jim Conforti is the best.

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by El Presidente@Dec 31 2003, 07:28 PM
a chip will increase fuel efficiency and sometimes increase consuption. Efficiency is how well the fuel is used in relation to how much power is produced, not mpg. A chip optomizes the amount of fuel/air mixture to have the highest performance, which can sometimes use more fuel, but not always. In sum, a chip can use more fuel, but it can also use less.

As for brands, Jim Conforti is the best.
my chip is pretty much a carbon copy of the conforti chip,

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
the chip i shall be getting, is programed on a lap top whilst on a rolling road, it sets the car up to run 100% which should improve the Mpg and the Bhp..... :thumbs

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by BMWg84@Jan 3 2004, 12:32 PM
If anyone needs performance software for their car let me know! :thumbs
[email protected]
[snapback]71778[/snapback]​
I still have authentic Dinan and Bavarian Autosport chips available for E30s - 12/94 production E36s (cheap)

if anyone is interested let me know

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have been looking into chips for a while check out these sites for some price ideas and different claims for hp gains. I would stay away from the crap on ebay though. A good chip should be retail for around $250. You can find deals though look up a couple of posts.

www.turnermotorsport.com - Conforti chip
www.bavauto.com - bavarian chip
www.dinanbmw.com - the dinan chip that most dealers carry
www.activeautowerke.com - they will do a custom software(the best if you already
have other mods on your car), I believe jllphan has
them doing software for him, do a search if that is
what you need.

jshearer

·
Registered
458 Posts
The major reason that name brand chips are more expensive is that they are the people who spent the time and money on the Dyno! They took the time to figure out how to get the extra power out of the fuel and spark curves, sensor data, and auto tranny shift points.

They also did this years ago when chip programming was much harder than now. Back then the programming was new, and a mystery so it was very time consuming to crack the code. (aka expensive)

The "other guys" just buy a new, or (more likely) a used chip, or (even worse) they "borrow" a chip from a car at a service center and burn it for free onto another chip that costs less than a dollar in volume.

It is easy to sell a chip from one manufacturer as a chip from another, more popular manufacturer (like the conforti chip) and the buyer has no idea.

If they burn it correctly, and only sell it to people with the same engine, tranny, model, model year, etc. then it is a good chip. If not, your car may run rough, or loose power, or in the worst case, you may need a new engine...

After knowing all this, the choice is yours!

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
talk to my guy, he will hook you up better and cheaper than the rest of those guys, i recommend him , give him an email, i believe he may be a sponsor here soon as well. drop him an email

[email protected]

·
Registered
458 Posts
Originally posted by Furious@Jan 25 2005, 06:44 PM
talk to my guy, he will hook you up better and cheaper than the rest of those guys, i recommend him , give him an email, i believe he may be a sponsor here soon as well. drop him an email

[email protected]
[snapback]279213[/snapback]​

Went to www.dsylva-tech.ca, and they show a Dyno but do not post Dyno results!

Tell your friend to upload some before and after Dyno charts before he expects a lot of business from us...

·
Registered
756 Posts
in the site whats the difference between what is says stock rev limit and rev limit increased.. and does anyone have one? how do you like it?

·
ex owner/admin
10,839 Posts
i have one in my 325, i think what he means is stock rev limiter is the red line, the rev limit increased means that you can take it past red line.

how do i know? well before the chip i couldnt get past redline, now i can take it to the max.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts