BMW Werkz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 328CI. When it gets cold ( < 35F ) the passenger side door will not latch when closed. Also a scrapping noise occurs when turning the steering wheel only when the weather gets cold.

What can be done to fix?... thanks

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
The latch mechanism may need some lubrication. As to the steering, the power steering fluid may be a bit low and getting thick in the cold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks... I'll try WD40 around the latching area. The noise in the steering is right at the steering wheel. Is there anything that rides inside the steering wheel when turned like a horn sensor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it easy to get to to apply some lubrication like WD40? Does the emblem on the steering wheel pop off to allow access? Thanks for your help....

·
Premium Member
14,730 Posts
I think the best look would be in the engine bay. You could get an idea from a look at realoem.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had same door problem. Except mine stopped opening without using both handles. I used WD-40 in lock hole, in hole under outside handle and in the latch itself. Wiggled the both handles and a minute later it works. Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy. Now, right after it was fixed I tried to roll my window down and now it doesnt move. Even though the motor clicks. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts