BMW Werkz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I can paint these myself... The spoilers are plastic the sideskirts are metal... anyone know how to do this without a body shop? or if i did need a bod shop how much would it cost?

thanks lotz

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
there used to be a FAQ on this i think. it is possible to turn your sideskirts body color by using a degreaser cuz the original paint is under the grey crap, but there isnt much room for error, and i'm not so sure about the front and rear spoilers. u could probably get everything painted for around $300 at a local body shop.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
SKI!!! SKI YOU ARE NEEDED!!!!!!

I think Ski had posted the FAQ about this.

KMracing - How mechanically inclined are you? It is feasible that you could do it, but if you can barely hold a wrench without hurting yourself I would suggest a body shop.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
u can buy the paint for the stealership and paint it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i tried it this afternoon that grey shit takes forever to get off...as of yet i am still not even thru the first layer of grey rubber paint

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by Fruityone@Apr 18 2003, 08:33 AM
i tried it this afternoon that grey shit takes forever to get off...as of yet i am still not even thru the first layer of grey rubber paint
wha u usin?..paint remover?..hehe

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Ya I got a FAQ on this I'll go and find tomorrow B) ..

night all!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this is an easy process (as in doable)... As for able to do this.... i can do practically anything anyone can do with cars just need to learn it first... and then theres my dad who can do more than anyone.... so im covered. but i dont wanna pay 300 bucks if i can just get it off/paint it myself.

If i bought the paint... how would i paint it? I noticed today the side skirts are on there pretty well... and same with the bumpers... would i need to sand off the paint? never heard of that with plastic....

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Originally posted by KMracing@Apr 18 2003, 09:22 AM
So this is an easy process (as in doable)... As for able to do this.... i can do practically anything anyone can do with cars just need to learn it first... and then theres my dad who can do more than anyone.... so im covered. but i dont wanna pay 300 bucks if i can just get it off/paint it myself.

If i bought the paint... how would i paint it? I noticed today the side skirts are on there pretty well... and same with the bumpers... would i need to sand off the paint? never heard of that with plastic....
u cant just paint over it..u gotta make it come off somehow..by chemcial or sand paper. not really sure...but i know u can buy spray paint of ur bmw color from the dealer and u can paint it

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
If your going to do it right you need to sand, primer, paint, sand, paint, wet sand, paint, sand some more, paint, then a few layers of clear coat. Otherwise you run the risk of the paint chipping, bubbling, or just looking plain chitty.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Originally posted by GreenDragon@Apr 18 2003, 08:33 PM
If your going to do it right you need to sand, primer, paint, sand, paint, wet sand, paint, sand some more, paint, then a few layers of clear coat. Otherwise you run the risk of the paint chipping, bubbling, or just looking plain chitty.
nono not needed to go all out like that..

here's the link that I followed to do mine..

http://www.geocities.com/karlkarlb/greyskirts.html

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It was 250 to paint my front, rear, one extra coat on the sides, and clear coated twice over..VERY IMPORTANT, a flex agent is needed as an additive to the paint to make sure that it will adhere to the plastic front and back bumpers, otherwise it will chip big time..

Feel free to ask if you have any questions on this KMracing.. B)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks Ski for all your help... I would of never found out that I could do that on my own. My names Ritch by the way, and I had one question... Could I just paint the bumpers myself? Doesn't seem to hard... I checked em out today and they are plastic bolt ons... What would the prep work be for painting the bumpters?

thanks again,
Ritch

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Hey Ritch, nice to have met you!!

I would highly recommend you do not do it yourself..I know this is a common question for you guys but, this is a pro's job..I'd really rather you seek out someone that does this for a living.. B) B)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok then, I'm probably gonna get the whole car repainted or recoated at least... Its lost its shine. I'm gonna try the sideskirts this weekend. Wish me luck,
Ritch

nice to have met you too ski, i like your ride... pretty tight.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
See, that's why I deferred to Ski on this one. YOU DA MAN!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts