BMW Werkz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought my 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5L. It had a leaking valve cover gasket so I replaced the gasket with a FelPro one including the bolt rubber grommets.
After changing the gasket (no more leaks) The Service Engine soon light came on. I pulled the codes and it has the P0171 and P0174 codes (System too Lean Bank 1 and Bank 2 respectively)
I replaced the vacuum line that runs behind the valve cover as it appeared to be brittle. The oil cap seal was hard so I replaced the oil cap.
I replaced the O2 sensors (with Bosch sensors) as the wires looked like they had been crimped at some point. I removed the oil cap while the car was idling to see if there was excessive pressure under the valve cover. There wasn't.
I have focused on the valve cover area as it didn't throw these codes prior to the valve cover removal. I don't hear any obvious leaks and I have sprayed the vacuum lines that I can see with carb cleaner (all I had in my garage) to see if the idle changed.
Car runs great and idles perfectly. I'm at a loss on what to check next?
I assume the valve cover gasket could have been pinched somehow but that would show some leakage?

I did change the spark plugs and the air filter at the same time as both were in need of replacement.

Any ideas?

I was told the oil cap test I did above would tell me if the CCV system is stuck (if the cap was hard to remove, it wasn't)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm not according to the thread topic, but really wanted to know: are such old BMW's okay? Thinking about purchasing a second car for my wife, but we have limited budget to buy new BMW as I have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts