BMW Werkz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have 1998 m3, live in las vegas. car overheated got to the red and shut off. No smoke or anything. when car idles it is in middle of guage like it should, as soon as I drive the guage shoots to the red.... I was thinking thermostat or maybe fan clutch, it is barely moving, when i rev to around 3000 rpms, fan clutch is at same speed..... prior to overheating there was a whiny sound like a belt. any help would be appreciated.....

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it over heated and shut off 2 min from my house... let sit for about 5 min, then drove to my house..... put in garage.... checked coolant level was a little low, added coolant. did not bleed system.... oil level fine. I have 158,000 miles. the idle seems to be fine haven't noticed a difference, the whiny belt sound from before isn;t as noticable. thanks

· Registered
1,493 Posts
it over heated and shut off 2 min from my house... let sit for about 5 min, then drove to my house..... put in garage.... checked coolant level was a little low, added coolant. did not bleed system.... oil level fine. I have 158,000 miles. the idle seems to be fine haven't noticed a difference, the whiny belt sound from before isn;t as noticable. thanks
*REPLIED :)

· Registered
47 Posts
I know my top hose blew off from the engine side and when i replaced the part and mine was overheating.. I found out a had to bleed my system for 30 mins b4 it would run correctly lol.. Just make sure that you see a stream of water coming out of your bleed screw.

· Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Yea, the barely moving and reving sounds like when my water pump went (although I didn't hear anything because I had my music so loud). It wouldn't be uncommon for it to go with that many miles on it. Make sure you didn't crack your head gasket or anything before you toss any money into fixing the water pump (if that's what it is).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.