BMW Werkz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:helpPLEASE help me!!! My bmw is over heating, I know the problem but I need to know how to remove and replace an innaccurate temperature gauge sensor on a 1997 BMW 318i, or at least how to get to it and clean the connectors because that worked before when a mechanic did it. I do not want to take it to a mechanic, I have not found one that I can trust. M44 E36:help

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
103,000 miles on the car, cooling system is good, hoses look good, one was replaced recently, fan is brand new, bleeder screw is brand new, thermostate needs to be replaced due to overheating but is not the problem, don't know about the water pump. Cooling system will work with the radiator/reservoir cap off, but will not work right with it on. The last mechanic said that the temperature gauge sender unit was bad, he actually did not use those words exactly because he did not use the correct terminology, I guess he thought I could not understand it, he said that what the fan was connected to is not telling it to come on, I have gathered that that is the temperature gauge sender unit, I could be wrong. He cleaned the connectors after I said I was not paying for a $1200 part to fix that car, $1200 I assume is for the unit not the sensor. But he cleaned it and it worked for a month, I just need the car too work a few times so I can trade it in. Any suggestions??? I appreciate the help.

I can't even find the temperature gauge sender sensor to buy, or even the whole unit, I read somewhere that it was called a thermistor...

· Registered
24 Posts
Models with the M44 engine and standard transmission substitute an electric fan for the belt-driven viscous fan. This is attached to the rear of the radiator and controlled via the DME 5.2 engine management system. In other words, the electric cooling fan is activated by the engine control module (ECM)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.