BMW Werkz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The OAT sensor on my 323i is missing. Worse, there are no wires to connect it to. I can get sensor wires and connectors
(have the part-numbers), but I cannot find where to connect.
Any help?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no wires whatsoever no connector!! The display shows Temp is -40F. A mechanic told me this goes into the computer and that may affect the engine (timing,fuel-mixture) although it runs just fine.
P.S. We have +100F here in Tucson.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
There are no wires whatsoever no connector!! The display shows Temp is -40F. A mechanic told me this goes into the computer and that may affect the engine (timing,fuel-mixture) although it runs just fine.
P.S. We have +100F here in Tucson.
I don't think so. If u study the electrical circuits, the OAT circuit begins and ends in the instument cluster. Therefore, no bearing on the engine performance.

The DME/ECU brain has it's own temperature sensor that gets it's signals from the engine, along with air temp measurements from the Mass Airflow meter :) ... definitely not from the OAT

· Registered
24 Posts
Temperature sensor panels

Does anyone know where I can get the replacement sensor panels for the driver side? With the lower clearance, I cracked the panel a couple of winters ago and it finally broke while I entered the garage. The sensor is still good and I duct taped it into the bumper for now. Thanks for your help

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I don't think so. If u study the electrical circuits, the OAT circuit begins and ends in the instument cluster. Therefore, no bearing on the engine performance.

The DME/ECU brain has it's own temperature sensor that gets it's signals from the engine, along with air temp measurements from the Mass Airflow meter :) ... definitely not from the OAT
the instrument cluster communicates with the engine module over the Can bus and I have seen the exterior temp sensor when it reads -40 degrees cause a service engine soon lamp to come on and a fault code stored in the DME. It depends on the year and model and DME variant though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.