BMW Werkz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gettin ready to change the oil for the first time in my 85 318i .... wondering which oil i should use .... got 181K for mileage .... should i use synthetic or non syn.... dont kno wut kind of oil the previous owner used ... should i check that first?? thanx for the help

Rob :driving

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one has an opinion on this????

Rob :driving

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i would say go ahead and use a thicker oil. like 10w30. Personally i use 20w50 industrial shit made for trucks lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
I only use Mobil 1 15w-50. Go ahead and use synthetics if youre willing to spend the money. Some people say its a bad idea to use them on high mileage motors, but thats b.s. :cig

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
its not that its a bad idea...its kinda like wasting money but that depends onyour point of view

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Originally posted by m42technic@Aug 13 2003, 06:22 PM
I only use Mobil 1 15w-50. Go ahead and use synthetics if youre willing to spend the money. Some people say its a bad idea to use them on high mileage motors, but thats b.s. :cig
synthetic oils dissolve old rubber seals. High mileage motors have low tolerences and big gaps between stuff. The syntetic stuff is very thin and will leak very easily and lubricate less. So not that its bad for the engine, just it costs more, is more likely to leeak, and may do the engine no preventiveness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
let me give my 2 cents here, napa oil IS valvoline, so you can save your self a ton of money over the long hall if you spend a little time and energy to find out who provides what........... yes i work for napa but it is an individual store, we actually have no connection (other then name) to napa, we can carry any products we want!!!!!!!!!!! i am telling people this because taking care of old cars can be expensive and the less you spend on little things like oil changes(like i do every3k miles) will help out.....i am sure that every major auto parts store's oil is provided from one of the bigger manufacuters of oil, hope i dont come off wrong here just trying to help>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts