BMW Werkz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local Auto Lube this afternoon for an oil change on my 94 530i.

The mechanic there said that the oil plug was stripped and they would not proceed to take it out. He said he could tell by how "tight" it was already in the pan. He was afraid to take it out fearing they would be liable.

So, what should I do ?

Play dumb and take it to another shop and see if they'll be willing to take it out or what ??
o

· Ich bin der Modifikator
3,190 Posts

The mechanic there said that the oil plug was stripped and they would not proceed to take it out. He said he could tell by how "tight" it was already in the pan. He was afraid to take it out fearing they would be liable.

So, what should I do ?

Play dumb and take it to another shop and see if they'll be willing to take it out or what ??
o
Take it to a repair shop.....if it is stripped....they can fix it with an enlarged self threading plug......

http://www.barnesdistribution.com/pdf/eng/master_catalog/J/J_Vehicle_241-260.pdf

johnny

· Registered
42 Posts
So, what should I do ?
Play dumb and take it to another shop and see if they'll be willing to take it out or what ??o
Hello Funk 49:

You have to proceed with plans A, B, and C.

A) Decide what will you do if there is not enough boss material to go to a larger plug and the one in the car has stripped the threads. Are you ready for another oil pan? Yes. Then do it. - No. Go to plan B (though it eventually would have to be done).

B) Have the oil and filter changed where they pump it from the top (common and excellent method). Wait on the plug until the next change (insure there is no leak).

C) Have the plug drilled a hole 6 mm in diameter (Be sure the oil is caught in a pan, watch out for the mess). When all oil came out, with a stud remover carefully remove the plug. Now use a tap to check and reshape the female thread in the pan. Install a new plug and sealing washer to manufacturer's spec for torque (don't go where you did it last so the situation will not be repeated. neither go to the mechanic who refused to take the plug out). Proceed with oil filter change and oil replacement.
NOTE: If you are not tight for a few coins, have the oil pan loosened on the lowest end more than the other and drain the oil (carefull or will be really messy). Then remove the pan and do the plug removal on the bench.
For reinstalling the pan you will need a new oil pan seal. This approach gives you the advantage to remove all sludge and filings from the pan, sump filter, magnets and pump area (it'd be a very good thing), and to check the pan for leaks before you reinstall it.

Good luck, Bim :)

· Registered
35 Posts

So, what should I do ?

o
Funk,

Get yourself a gator socket! It works everytime. It will unscrew your stripped bolt. Good luck

· Registered
6,064 Posts
OK so is the head of the bolt stripped or the threads?

· Registered
2 Posts
Oil plug is stripped and just turns. Though something was funny when I took the old one off to make the change. It had 2 washers and one was broken. Wierd huh? Got it off and my problem happened when I tried to put the oil plug back in. Now I can't get it out. I guess I will just have to replace the oil pan. Not too sure how to get a spinning free oil plug out. Any one have any ideas?

· Registered
29 Posts
Broken Oil drain plug

Having just gone through this on my E34-M50, here is my experience:

BMW designed the drain plug to break first before it ruins the oil pan. Be happy about that!

I misread the Bentley Manual and torqued the plug to 44 lbs. When I next went to change the oil, the head of the plug off broke as I was putting it back in, even before I tightened it. :mad I used a number EX3 Easyout to remove the old threads, which came right out. No drilling required as the threads were hollow at this point. It sure helps that the oil was drained out at this point, of course.

After looking at the way the plug is designed - it looks substantial but in fact is drilled down the center - I can see that 44 lbs was way too much torque. I used a new copper washer and tightened it securely but not too hard. (The other spec in the manual said 18 ft-lbs, but my torque wrench doesn't go below 25.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.