BMW Werkz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pulled out my air box today to work on the alternator and noticed that the inside walls of the intake piping were oil coated. I am talking about between the air flow meter and up into the throttle body. What could be causing this.

·
Help from over the pond
3,239 Posts
That will be caused by the OSV, only replace with genuine from BMW, it will also take a while after fitting the new one for all remaining oil in the intake system to go.

·
42, The meaning of life
2,405 Posts
Could also be from any previous owner over oiling an aftermarket air filter.

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
Blow by, all high mileage engines will do this over time...all of my M20s had some level of blow by..It's just oil getting past the piston rings cause they are worn out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i wiped it with a rag so will see if it comes back. I replace the osv, where is it located and the engine has done 129 thousand k's so not too high mileage
i searched the internet and found this link
E30 oil all inside intake
which gives a few ideas ..about oil drains being restricted i guess it means the oil drains under the valve cover?

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
wow that is mind bogglingly low mileage! My E30 just rolled over 375,000 miles!

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
epicfail denied. by the time i landed after being paid to deliver the car to Oregon, it was already in the shop getting a frame off resto.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had my 85 325 E given to me with 60,xxx miles on it... didnt have a problem with it for the first year and then all of sudden stuff is die off on me...recently replaced my clutch...that was fun...NOT

·
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin
9,355 Posts
clutch in an E30 is probably one of the easiest jobs i have ever done lol, try doing it on ANY front wheel drive or all wheel drive cars lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi, took my intake off again the other day and yes there is another light surface of oil in there. With all these different opinions i dont know where to start..

·
Ich bin der Modifikator
3,323 Posts
hi, took my intake off again the other day and yes there is another light surface of oil in there. With all these different opinions i dont know where to start..

If I were in your shoes, I would do a compression test on all cylinders........to eliminate the worst case scenario!

jb

·
Registered
38 Posts
to add, I've had catch tanks on my last 2 cars and find it to work a treat. Airfilter and throttle housing/piping all stays nice and clean.

This is how it was on my 20vt (between powersteering reservoir and airfilter)

and this is what i collected after about 1 month (note inside walls used to be shiney as well)

Hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts