BMW Werkz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
650 Posts
You don't have a cheap car so don't go cheap on it.
If you don't know how to chang oil take it to a dealer or your trusted mech.

· Registered
85 Posts
Use ONLY a full synthetic oil... preferably Castrol, which is what BMW specifies. This oil is good for,at least, twice the service interval. So the cost is probably about the same. Although the process of changing the oil is not as easy as it is on a vehicle that's easier to get under, stay away from the cheap chains. DIY or go to an independant shop.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the good advice. I am still deliberating. I am surprised to find several shops specializing in BMW's (and European cars). I checked with two of them and they quote about $100 for an oil-change. The dealer wants $125. They have fancy offices to pay for and I am not so sure that the mechanics are any better there. However, the CARFAX shows that the car has been there for service several times before and I checked with the dealer that they still have all the records and that seems to me a PLUS. So I may choose the dealer.
PS I had some other threads about 'SERVICE ENGINE SOON" and missing OAT sender. I installed the OAT and the missing splash-guards (myself of course). The service light is now out. I am not sure why really but .....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.