BMW Werkz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody -

I know the dealer and owners manual indicate an oil change interval of 15K miles. I'm guessing that a good # of you do it more frequently than that? Every 7500K? Or would this just be a waste of $?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you take it to the dealer to have them change the oil before it's indicated, that change is at full charge as it's not covered.

Waiting 15K miles to change oil is a little unnerving isn't it?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Keep in mind that the engines hold 7 quarts of oil, a bit more than the normal car engine of similar size. I used to think that the interval was too long, but with good synthetic oil, there have been no problems that I'm aware of. I've seen sludge in some of the oil, but those intervals went several thousand beyond 15k.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by TECH@Jan 15 2004, 01:59 AM
Keep in mind that the engines hold 7 quarts of oil, a bit more than the normal car engine of similar size. I used to think that the interval was too long, but with good synthetic oil, there have been no problems that I'm aware of. I've seen sludge in some of the oil, but those intervals went several thousand beyond 15k.
^Interesting.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by TECH@Jan 15 2004, 01:59 AM
at first i was concerned by this interval but i have gone one year and have not changed my oil have about 10k since last change. I use mobil 1 synthetic and check oil level frequently to see if oil is low but its full and the color of the oil is a dark brown unlike conventional oil which will turn black after 3k. I will be changeing the oil next month. Most new cars hold more than 5 quarts of oil these days :driving I had a tauris sho that held 6 quarts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Many Cadillac vehicles now go up to 12000 miles between oil changes, as my old 2001 STS did based on its own internal counter that was able to basically "sense" the condition of the oil and the environment. However, GM was fairly adamant in the manual that no matter how long the oil change interval states, it should never go past 1 year, even if you have thousands of miles left on the ticker. This was for regular oil though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everybody who responded :D

For 80 bucks, I think I'll take it in at 37.5K, half way between the Inspection 1 and the next scheduled oil change at 45K. I don't drive many miles and by the time 45K miles rolls around, the current oil will be well over a year old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts